List of large scale Golden Era aircraft

ericg

Guest Clunkmeister

I feel a group build comming on Kev??

I think we had one already in the semi recent past, but I'd be seriously game again. I just pulled the O-1C out of the simple green and got it all bagged, and now have a long tailed F3B-1 in the mixture now. Also, a Sperry Messenger is all cleaned up, ready to go as well.

I'm all for building cool stuff.

BRING IT!!!

Guest Clunkmeister

And, if someone wants a simple Golden Age build, pick up Lukgraph's Sperry Messenger. It's a biplane,but it's about as simple a biplane as you'll ever see.

The real airplane was tiny, so this model almost fits in one hand.

Try it, you'll love it.

I never realized there were that many kits out there in this time line.  What a great topic and a wealth of great responses.  

I recently picked up an old Monogram F3F with the date of 1960 stamped inside.  Some of these kits are just fantastic to look at and how old they originally were set up.  

Troy

I never realized there were that many kits out there in this time line.  What a great topic and a wealth of great responses.  

I recently picked up an old Monogram F3F with the date of 1960 stamped inside.  Some of these kits are just fantastic to look at and how old they originally were set up.  

Troy

Be aware that the F3F from Revell started its life as the G22 Gulfhawk. The Gulfhwak was an hybrid specially developed for Williams' aerobatic stunts, with the fuselage of the F3F-3 and the wings of the F3F-2, shorter in span.

LSM do a correction set that adds the right number of ribs to produce an accurate - span wise - F3F-3

Hubert

Splendid Eric, what some beautiful looking models. I think the Tiger Moth, as you know Revell's sadly the only game in town, and the Fw44 Stieglitz by Silver Wings also qualify for the Golden Era.

I feel a group build comming on Kev??

I suspect there are too many resin kits in the list to really attract a large number of participants in such a GB, much to my dismay :( ...

I'd sure be in such a GB (provided I do not spend most of the time of the GB deciding which one I want to build ;) )

I have started editing my first post with all of the suggestions from you guys. Thanks for the support!

I stand corrected on one kit. The Letov by HPH is the 328, as Tnarg pointed out, and not the 38 ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

That would rule out all of the beautiful civilian aircraft then!

I like this description although it does not define actual aircraft involved in the period. The part about pilots is also pretty good.

The Golden Age of Aviation was a time when airplanes had classic lines and character,regulations were few,pilots were popular heros,and is generally considered to be the 20-year period between the end of World War I and the beginning of World War II and was the pinnacle of Aviation excitement and Aviation development for Civilian as well as Military Aircraft.

I'd venture that on the military side, the Golden Age stopped roughly at the Spanish Civil War, i.e. 1936. Once these aircrafts started being used extensively in anger in one or more camps, we were entering WWII realm ...

As for civilians and racers, 1939 is probably a good cut-off date. Racing stopped in 1939 for a good 7 years, and civilian transport had a new face after WWII.

Hubert

That would rule out all of the beautiful civilian aircraft then!

I like this description although it does not define actual aircraft involved in the period. The part about pilots is also pretty good.

The Golden Age of Aviation was a time when airplanes had classic lines and character,regulations were few,pilots were popular heros,and is generally considered to be the 20-year period between the end of World War I and the beginning of World War II and was the pinnacle of Aviation excitement and Aviation development for Civilian as well as Military Aircraft.

I wasn't ruling them out, I just presumed that logically they would be bracketed by the war years of 1918—1939, although the DC3 might be a contentious choice. There are a vast array of flying boats, airliners, and general civil aircraft to choose from. Sounds like a GB and then some!

Steve

I suspect there are too many resin kits in the list to really attract a large number of participants in such a GB, much to my dismay :( ...

Hubert

All the Williams bros and Hasegawa kits are injection moulded and I would like to think that in the case of the Hasegawa kits that these would be able to be made Out of the box without too much effort, raised detail and all!

This list is a far cry from the 1990's when I started to acquire all the different models available in 1/32 scale.

25 years ago we had but a few, including all the planes, not just the few between the wars.

If this keeps up I'll have to move my family into a motel room and convert the home into a warehouse.

:help:  :frantic:  :mental:

Maybe it is time to cut back?

:punk: