List of large scale Golden Era aircraft

ericg

Silver wings Gadiator and P. Fischer Ryan STA / PT-22. I think they first flew in 1934-35.

Fantastic topic Eric. Currently finishing up a Hasegawa Peashooter as I write this one. Fantastic kit.

Troy

Lukgraph has the Nieuport 29 coming in a few months as well, didn't see that listed above.

Hubert, is the MustHave NiD-622 available yet? Haven't seen any info on it other than the announcement that it's coming

Lukgraph has the Nieuport 29 coming in a few months as well, didn't see that listed above.

Hubert, is the MustHave NiD-622 available yet? Haven't seen any info on it other than the announcement that it's coming

Yes it is. Bought one last year in a model show.

Let's say it is not like Fisher, Silver Wings or Alley Cat resin ... ;)

Hubert

Other 30's kits include these (some are very late 30's):

HPH:   Avia B-534, Letov S-328, Letov S-16

Silver Wings:   Fiat CR-32, Heinkel 51 (including one version with floats)

? resin kit, forgot company name:    Avia B-35, Yugoslav version of Hawker Fury, IK-3 (may be too late)

Special Hobby:  P-36A (think War Games Camo in late 30's National Air Races), Polikarpov I-16 (type 10)

XS makes some resin racing planes with the Curtiss biplane racer for wheels or floats (two kits). That is a reasonable kit with good wing detail, even if the interior is just a hole in the plane. (Put in a pilot and use Jimmy Dolittle's head from Kings Road Miniatures... not inexpensive but a great figure).

ICM/Revell:   Polikarpov I-16 later kit with Vector type 5 conversion kit

Montex:   Dewoitine D.500, HS-123 (both later done by Alley Cat)

Lukgraoh:   Focke Wulf FW.56

Trumpeter:   Junkers Ju-87A  (late 30's in Spain)

Lysander, Hurricane, spitfire,.....in fact most WWII types were in service before the war. Do they count, or an I missing something?

Steve

Strictly speaking, yes - but aircraft that saw widespread action in WWII tend to be labelled as WWII aircraft, which overrides everything.

It is hard to compare an F4B-4 with a Spitfire, but an Estonian "What If?" Spitfire with black and white or aluminum under the wing pushes me to call it Golden Age also. I would definitely call a Bulgarian Heinkel or Avia with the early Cross of King Zvonimir insignia Golden Age. Crossed swords and a lion in the center... way too cool of a national insignia.

This suggests that a cutoff for Spanish Civil War and later might be more WWII like, but I find myself obsessed with all things 1930. If it is a biplane, I'd still make it Golden Age, even if it is a Polikarpov I-153... and I still want an I-15.

Make two lists if you want to... I like them all.

Tnarg

I reckon the term Golden Age would apply to types that saw the majority of their service in the 20's and 30's.

I agree. Calling a Spitfire 'golden era' or 'between the wars' just because it debuted in service pre-war is a major stretch, and should be easily distinguished from an aircraft whose dying days of service overlapped with the early part of the war.

Kev

Guest Clunkmeister

Silver Wings also does the little Focke Wulf 44, a really cool little two seat biplane that looks absolutely awesome in early 30s civilian paint.

I agree. Calling a Spitfire 'golden era' or 'between the wars' just because it debuted in service pre-war is a major stretch, and should be easily distinguished from an aircraft whose dying days of service overlapped with the early part of the war.

Kev

I think that we need a clarification here. Tiger Moths and Stearmans would be on most modellers lists for this category, but in reality not much service time before the war for either. So maybe official front line/active service life between the wars? Therefore Gladiator no, but Hart, Fury and alike yes.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve

So maybe official front line/active service life between the wars? Therefore Gladiator no, but Hart, Fury and alike yes.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve

That would rule out all of the beautiful civilian aircraft then!

I like this description although it does not define actual aircraft involved in the period. The part about pilots is also pretty good.

The Golden Age of Aviation was a time when airplanes had classic lines and character,regulations were few,pilots were popular heros,and is generally considered to be the 20-year period between the end of World War I and the beginning of World War II and was the pinnacle of Aviation excitement and Aviation development for Civilian as well as Military Aircraft.

Edited by ericg