williamj

Has anyone ordered from MasterCasters?.....

He does some very cool corrections for the old Hobbycraft 1/48 CF-100 Canuck and CF-105 Arrow kits that turn those old kits into very presentable models.

I hope he get's his game fixed because it'd be a shame to lose him as a supplier.

This is, alas, the problem of the amateur craftsperson: they discover a business model for a passion and end up disappointing those of us who love their work. I see it all the time. I don't mean to be harsh, but happens over and over and over in our hobby. What was fun to make the first 5,329 times becomes a colossal PITA and they go dark.

I wish someone who isn't going to follow through would have the guts and honesty to say "sorry, I'm outta here" and close their doors without taking orders they are never going to fulfill. I know, I know, they bank your money and life gets in the way. Sadly online payment and the Internet allows one-man bands to look like real businesses, so we assume that Harry who makes these super resin conversions just CAN'T GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!

In most cases, they aren't more than one person, and by the time they go South, usually a bunch of people have money tied up in them. If they don't take PayPal, don't buy from them. Period.

My motto is: pay with PayPal, and if there is any delay, get my money back. Too often the saddest stories are from people who are hoping some obscure, beloved conversion set is going to be available again and who wait months/years for that to happen. Cut your losses and get your money back.

Edited by Bill Cross

Just curious as to the service,Ordered quite some time back..22 Pounds..two emails to Mr. Jay Laverty and no responce. am I to kiss it goodby? hope not.

I had trouble with one of his sets that I ordered from Ultracast. He never replied to multiple emails so Kevin at Ultracast took care of the issue. Maybe check with Ultracast next time and see if they have what you want as they do carry the line. I don't know how much of it, though. Edited by TBC

Whilst it's quite a while ago I ordered off MasterCasters and received all my goods in a timely fashion. Communication was perfectly fine as well.

Bill asked a simple, polite and perfectly reasonable question. It wasn't an invitation to air any grievances.

It'd really be appreciated if members could remember our commitment articulated in the rules of the road where we emphasise the necessity not to denigrate people, companies or a business but to find constructive solutions to a problem.

If someone has any contact with Jay or the company then a phone call to highlight outstanding issues seems like a good option. As always, payments made via methods with accountability built into them are hghly advisable.

Please ladies and gents...self-moderate.

Matty

Reasonable answer: one time 2014 good. Second larger order 2015 not so good. No goods received.

Constructive solution: emails with no response; no way to resolve. PayPal time limit passed. I will start to badger the company again. The slats for the Bf-110 are very nice.

Notice: nothing for sale on eBay except three other manufacture's product.

Summary: Not a reliable supplier.

HTH

Same experience when I ordered the Nieuport set that was not available anymore from Hannants. Delays and complicated communication. I believe Jay is a good guy but he has too many irons on the fire to manage everything efficiently... As others wrote this is the classical syndrom of too many one-man businesses. So you may have to be patient and tenacious to get your goodies!

Whilst it's quite a while ago I ordered off MasterCasters and received all my goods in a timely fashion. Communication was perfectly fine as well.

Bill asked a simple, polite and perfectly reasonable question. It wasn't an invitation to air any grievances.

It'd really be appreciated if members could remember our commitment articulated in the rules of the road where we emphasise the necessity not to denigrate people, companies or a business but to find constructive solutions to a problem.

If someone has any contact with Jay or the company then a phone call to highlight outstanding issues seems like a good option. As always, payments made via methods with accountability built into them are hghly advisable.

Please ladies and gents...self-moderate.

Matty

My apologies if that was intended for me. I must admit I am frustrated by the irregular communication habits of many vendors in this hobby, and wish that this problem didn't arise as often as it does. My hope is that MC will do the right thing and everyone will come away satisfied. If I exceeded propriety here, please accept my regrets.

Edited by Bill Cross

This is, alas, the problem of the amateur craftsperson: they discover a business model for a passion and end up disappointing those of us who love their work. I see it all the time. I don't mean to be harsh, but happens over and over and over in our hobby. What was fun to make the first 5,329 times becomes a colossal PITA and they go dark.

This is the reason I stock up on things when I see them come to the market, even if I don't have the kit yet, or no intention to build for a long time.  Lots of great aftermarket parts have come and gone as I stand around watching astronomical prices on ebay escalate even higher.