Harvard in RAF service

SimonCornes

Having just acquired a Kittyhawk T-6 (Kit 32001) I know that there are numerous differences between the Harvard, I, II, III and IV but I was wondering if anyone can give me advice as to which of those versions can be built out of this particular kit box and what extras I might require. With the deal I have  set of AMS blades, Eduard flaps and one of the A2Zee/Alleycat rear canopy glazings - but I'm not sure whichj one!

This strikes me as an aeroplane which really reserves the Modelers Data File treatment - ie an idiot guide for me!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

The obvious answer Simon is that you can't build a Harvard Mk I; I've contemplated it but the more I researched it the more I realised the near impossibility of doing so. A Mk II is achievable, you've got the AMS blades which are important though there are several more subtle differences which need consideration like the position of the wingtip navigation lights. Can you post a picture of which Alleycat canopy you've got?

Thanks for the input Max. In fact I havent actually got my bits on it yet but I'll post in thread the AlleyCat part numbers when I do have it. Of course the next thing is 'Which Harvard and when?" I don't know the answer to that. Do I want something in dark earth/dark green/yellow or something silver? Not sure, its just that I feel the need to have a Harvard so I'm an open book but the 32001 boxing seemed the most flexible for my intentions!

A funny think Max. I was looking at some paperwork I had clipped together for future projects and I found that I'd printed out your entire thread, plus a couple of reviews of the kit, back in April when the idea of a Harvard first hit my grey matter! I have to say that Alleycat canopy looks very nice! I sent Alec a message on Facebook last night but I doubt I'll get a rapid reply about availability although I see he is going to focus on castings of similar sizes and shapes rather than everything but he did mention the Harvard 

I had a feeling that we'd discussed this before Simon, but at my advanced age the grey matter and memory isn't what it was! I have quite a lot of reference material should you need it, but the one thing that I think is essential with the kit, besides the prop, are the wheels, just terrible. Get some Brassin Mustang ones!

Max, I think we're sharing the same boat!! Okay, noted, Brassin Mustang wheels required! I note you used SAC gear legs - are they essential? I was the kit gear was probably okay? I have mixed views about SAC. Sometimes it looks great and sometimes it looks very rough and I think it is more a matter of how good the kit original parts are. I wouldn't have thought that strength is problem with the kit bits?

Not RAF, I know, but you could do a RCAF Mk IV out of the box, as I understand this was essentially a T-6G. 

IIRC (but that is from the top of my mind, so I would need to check my references), all Canadian Harvards had a cockpit heating system which warmed air in a sleeve around a lengthened exhaust on the right side of the aircraft. This had least would have to be modified on the original kit.

Hubert

IIRC (but that is from the top of my mind, so I would need to check my references), all Canadian Harvards had a cockpit heating system which warmed air in a sleeve around a lengthened exhaust on the right side of the aircraft. This had least would have to be modified on the original kit.

Hubert

I think you're right.