1/32 385th BG(H) B-17G - Fictitious

Geddyme

3 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Been a while since I caught up with your build. Looking great David! Good tips to know about the fit problems with the top and ball turrets too. I'll keep that in the back of the mind.

You'll have this done in no time!

Craig

Thank you Craig, it’s been a while,  over the winter I gave it a break mostly because it was ready for primer and paint, and I can only paint in my unheated Ohio garage currently. 

Speaking of paint, I’ve found when it’s not bathed in the fluorescent lighting at my office, but in more natural light at home that green isn’t quite so jolting and Japanese camo in hue. Still not where I want it, but I’ll get there.

1 hour ago, CATCplSlade said:

Would that Focke-Wulf be 'Red 9' by any chance?

I don’t recall CAT, but I will let you know in the morning. If you’d like some other angles of it, I can post them here. Those two fighters and several more elsewhere in my office are actually screw together toys from 21sr Century Toys, that I bought for my dad when he was still living. That is Schilling’s “Hairless Joe” in there as well, I also have Zempke’s P-47, Gentile’s “Shangri La”. I’m sure that Butcher Bird is of some note. I’ll let you know. 

Thanks again folks, see you tomorrow!

David

Oh, I'm aware of it's lineage as I at one time owned both as well as many other of 21C's 1/32 and 1/18 planes, as well as much of the armor and figures. Their demise as a company is what drove me back to model building  as a lack of new product from them threatened to end my collecting WWII military miniatures. 

https://imgur.com/a/w5j2Q

Edited by CATCplSlade

9 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Oh, I'm aware of it's lineage as I at one time owned both as well as many other of 21C's 1/32 and 1/18 planes, as well as much of the armor and figures. Their demise as a company is what drove me back to model building  as a lack of new product from them threatened to end my collecting WWII military miniatures. 

https://imgur.com/a/w5j2Q

That is indeed “Red 9” CAT. 

I was also saddened to discover 21C went belly up, I hadn’t acquired all the  toys I wanted! And I would say it did influence me to get back into this hobby, also. That is an impressive collection you have there!

Here is another angle of “Red 9” with the Fort. I love the lines of the radial engine FW’s. It’s a beautiful airplane from any angle, except on your six I suppose.

Cheers,

David

3wXfLQt.jpg

That bracket shelf hanging over my kit would have me freaking out because that is when it would choose to pull loose and collapse. Too much trust in drywall anchors when I was younger.

Incidentally, the only 1/32 21C that I still own are the Italian birds and three Bf 109F-4's kits I built as non-Luftwaffe planes; everything else was duplicated in kit form with the proceeds from selling the rest. What's funny is that my observing teacher during my student-teaching semester used to sell Dragon 1/6 scale stuff at G.I.Joe shows with her dad who happens to have what amounts to a battalion of German soldiers and armor in his basement. Plus a Stuka. They have lived just a few blocks from me for 15 years and I just found this out last summer.

Like you are doing here, I plan to build my kit in OD. I want to go with one of the more colorful tail schemes as that attracts me more than a specific planes; it is one of the things I find appealing about Japanese aircraft. Plus, if I understand correctly, the way this kit got designed it leaves only a narrow field of choices in nose art if you want it accurate re: the waist gun positions and some other visible differences. I am not up to cutting into a kit of this price level (Although by the time I get around to it I might just be!).

So I am definitely looking forward to see how you proceed.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, CATCplSlade said:

That bracket shelf hanging over my kit would have me freaking out because that is when it would choose to pull loose and collapse. Too much trust in drywall anchors when I was younger.

Haven't updated in a while... never fear CATCplSlade. It survived this encounter in my office & the ride to/from (several times actually).

Sadly it didn't get away unscathed from a later encounter. :(

I paint & do other loathsome toxic things, masked, out in my unheated garage or driveway,  Ohio weather permitting. Suffice to say a thunderstorm & my newish neighbor's skittish dog (a very friendly 100lb Rottie) charging into my garage caused this plane's perch to topple over & it cracked it open down fuselage seem, broke some parts off including the gear & most all the clear stuff, gun barrels, flap kit & various bits inside.

Seams reappeared at cockpit & nose joins. It's repairable to a reasonable state tho...  in fact I've almost finished, or at least as far as I'm going to go. Just the flaps to put back on (thankfully tons of extra ribs for those on the sprue). The piece of glass from the TT  directly behind the engineers head when he's using it is gone though. I guess it slipped into another dimension when it hit the ground. I will never find it now. I had to get the "H" sprue (starboard gear destroyed) from Ebay but the clear sprue or even pieces... understandably more difficult. Any suggestions are welcomed!!

I'll post some photo's of it in its' current state later today... & when I get it to "new normal" complete. I don't know if I'll ever put it in RFI, mostly because I don't think it ever will be... & I'll be ordering another this weekend for spring... might be the E/F model. :)

In the meantime I'm ready to dive into this trumpy F-14D... still wanting to do the "Black Bunny"  - VX-9...

pics on the way!

David

13 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

One of my cats toppled a German APC off a shelf but I got away with little damage.

However, if what happened to your B-17 happened to mine, my neighbor would be in the market for a new dog within minutes.

My neighbor came back that night with her iPad and was going to buy me a whole new model. I said no, but she wasn’t having it and we settled on the Aires exhaust for my F-14D build and Revell’s 1/144 SuperCat as well. 

Anyway, here are a few snaps as she sits today on her revetment. I went a little nuts with the weathering and chipping, some of it was an attempt to mask damage, but I’ve learned a lot and will definitely do another one. More pics when I get motivated to stick the flaps back on it. That was a chore the first time and not relishing it this second. I know they didn’t often sit around with the hatches and bombay open and flaps deployed, but liked that look and will put it back the way it was before it toppled.

I’m in the market for the glass piece for the TT as well!

More to come...

Cheers,

David

J6FWi3m.jpg

ooL0HTE.jpg

By625AW.jpg

H28Undc.jpg

2inY1qW.jpg

PiyzDLD.jpg

UcI6YXo.jpg

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I think it looks great!

The weathering is heavy, but from some of the in flight pics I've seen, that 2nd pic looking down is pretty representative of the high mission, heavily used birds.

Well done!

Thank you sir! I did get carried away with the weathering for sure.

59 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Nice job, heavy weathering but looks good all the same.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you Andy, I know less is more, but still went overboard.

I may try to lighten it up some at some point, the main color came out a bit dark for my liking as well. I’m gonna put it aside for a week or so, and start my Tomcat I think.

Cheers,

David