Sign in to follow this  
Gazzas

Have you ever contacted an EBAY seller?

To tell him he's outta his effing, profiteering mind?

Saw a kit I been looking for...

It said start bidding at US $300.0...

Shame on me I swore in front of my granddaughter in my amazement...

Gaz

We all sell something for profit, be it out time, our expertise or what we produce and we all are trying to get the maximum amount for said product. I once bought a kit for 30 bucks and sold it for 180, was I profiteering, yep, but something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I get your astonishment, and can only try to chuckle from such sellers.

But the only contact Ebay - wise should be from a transaction, which I assume you will not be doing here!

Surely you will eventually find that which you seek at a tolerable price.

Sometimes it gladdens the heart to know that there are optimists in the world - I just smile briefly to myself and look for something at a more reasonable price.

Yes, it's actually kind of common. I once asked a guy why he was selling a certain item at five times retail when it was a common item (don't recall what it was) and he responded that he made his money of those who were stuck too far away from stores and had limited options of payment other than Paypal; basically he was selling eggs to gold prospectors (what we build ARE treasures, after all). There are also people dumb enough to fall for the word "rare" used to describe the ancient and yet plentiful Tamiya Sdkfz 251 Ausf C kit.

They are basically taking advantage of peoples' ignorance--it is business, after all--but some take it too far. And yet they make money, apparently.

Posted (edited)

Gaz

I’ve contacted sellers just three times over the years on ‘buy it now’ listings and in each instance made an offer I though was fair but quite a bit less then the original asking price. In two of the cases, my offer was accepted and the third, the seller declined my offer. Sometimes a seller will ask more then he wants hoping someone will

bite and other times allowing him room to accept a lower price.

On sales with insane prices, I just pass it buy: entertainment only.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Some people's greed never ceases to disgust me. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I stole from the vulnerable.

Tony

A bit dramatic, we're not selling crack, it's a model kit.

And then, on the other "side of the coin", all too often, peers can be thieves too, and expect their "buddies" to practically give them something for nothing, or at an actual loss.

What was the kit?

I've learned to mind my own business and move on.  I once contacted a seller and he told me to F off, he can ask what he wants for it. 

eBay is full if idiots. Sellers and buyers.  From a sellers point though, one does have to ask a little more to break even due to the high fees involved.  It's a very rare moment when I do buy a new kit off eBay, but its usually when they are running the 20% discounts and the kits is priced in line with the market.

I keep a few I'm eyeing saved for these 20% deals when they pop up. 

Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. I have a wakizashi that is 400 years old, and has a fake signature on it. Yes, even then fakes were made for the money. prolly had guys selling "Piece of Pharohs tomb!" out at Giza.

Sounds like a Monty Python bit actually.

I have contacted ebay sellers on many occasions if I've noticed a mistake in their listing that might cause them trouble in selling the item, like putting the wrong scale in the title, etc. A lot of the folks selling kits, in particular, do not know much about the item, and are usually very appreciative when you kindly offer some helpful advice. I don't often say much about price, since that's their business, but pointing out a genuine error is usually well received. There are lots of crap baskets on there, but lots of good honest people, too, and I've made some pretty good business relationships on ebay over the years.

The ones that are obviously gouging, or pulling the high-priced shipping scam, I just ignore. 

Tim