PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway) - HPH 1/32 - Resin & fiber glass kit.

kkarlsen

• 2 years later...

Came upon this and nearly fell off the chair. My father was the Radio operator on the sister craft of this plane -  7278/22 - in Greenland!  (he flew with the pilot of this plane, Lt. Dunlop, in Nov 42, but in a PV3, not a PBY).

7278 went down on the icecap on 27 Jan 1943 due to poor visibility. It hit the glacier a glancing blow and took a big bounce before coming back down to move nevermore. During the bounce my dad sent an "SOS" (a position locator, actually) in Morse code, which an operator at base heard - so they knew where to look for them when 7278 failed to return from mission. The plane was in good enough shape they tried to get it unstuck from the ice, but even with block and tackles dropped to them, were unable to do so.

At the time, the ability of the PBY to withstand the shock of the ice landing was uncertain, and it is probable the survival of 7278 informed the others back at base that a safe landing of 7277 was feasible. So, on Feb 5, just a few days later, the plane in the picture landed and famously rescued the crew of the B17 that was stranded on the ice for so many months.

All seven crew of 7278/22 were rescued safely after 16 days on the icecap. The only thing my dad brought with him on the dogsled was his Morse code key - which I have!   But for that Morse code key - I never would have been born...

Stunning model work - at first I thought you had an actual photo!

8 hours ago, Chrisrut said:

My father was the Radio operator on the sister craft of this plane -  7278/22 - in Greenland!  (he flew with the pilot of this plane, Lt. Dunlop, in Nov 42, but in a PV3, not a PBY).

Thank you for 'adding' to the story of the heroic actions on the Greenland Icecap.

Would you have any photos from your fathers time in Greenland?

Regards: Kent

Hello Kent.

No, sadly, I have no photos explicitly connected to Greenland - nor of his plane. If anything that might be of interest emerges, I'll send it along. 

Two things:

1. Are you aware of the historic nature of the specific craft in your picture? It is quite famous - and there are pictures of it performing a daring rescue on the ice in 1943 readily available. You don't mention it in your writeup.

2. Might I have permission to use some of these model photos in a presentation I'm making about the history of the Morse Code key used aboard the sister craft my father flew on?  I know of no other picture of the radio operator's position than those of your model.

All the Best, Chris

Edited by Chrisrut
ask two questions

4 hours ago, Chrisrut said:

Hello Kent.

No, sadly, I have no photos explicitly connected to Greenland - nor of his plane. If anything that might be of interest emerges, I'll send it along. 

Two things:

1. Are you aware of the historic nature of the specific craft in your picture? It is quite famous - and there are pictures of it performing a daring rescue on the ice in 1943 readily available. You don't mention it in your writeup.

2. Might I have permission to use some of these model photos in a presentation I'm making about the history of the Morse Code key used aboard the sister craft my father flew on?  I know of no other picture of the radio operator's position than those of your model.

All the Best, Chris

Thanks Chris U2! 

1. Well I know the story of the belly landing, some of it is mentioned in the LSP article on the build: LSP article

+ photos on my Facebook page on Bureau number 7277/20

Webpage with the build...

Lastly the very comprehensive build thread with some of my research... PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

2. You are very welcome to use whatever you need...

Facebook photo album PBY-5A Catalina

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

• 1 year later...

'Better late than never', right...

For four years I've been planning to attend the largest modelling show in Sweden C4 Open, having gotten an invitation by the organizers of the show. Of course the plans were 'quashed' by two years of Covid + my hospital stay last year. I had the models registered for the show last year but the organizers didn't know why i didn't show up?

Long story short, this year I finally succeeded in attending the C4 Open in Malmö.

For the occasion I decided to finishing the PBY-5A Catalina and attaching the wings for this beast..

HoGupoi.jpg

The finished build isn't exactly a 'shelf piece' but it is impressive...

capFXEP.jpg

C8taG9G.jpg

And yes the Catalina was awarded at the show in Sweden.

Now, where to store the build...

Cheers: Kent