Sign in to follow this  
TBC

Spray painting in a Condo or Townhouse

I've sold my house and purchased a 2 bedroom townhouse with the intent of using the sizeable 2nd bedroom as my model room-so I thought. In the condo rules and regs, it mentions flammable/combustibles inside the unit and no fume emissions. Has anyone here come across this and what did you do to comply?

It's a bi-level, end unit, so the bedrooms are in the basement. Next to me are 2-story units. A silent compressor is the easy bit. If I were to construct a paint booth it would exhaust through the window underneath the deck/stairs into the fenced yard at ground level. There is a 12' x 22' unheated, attached garage with the only access being through the retracting door. Not an option I think.

I honestly don't want to build something and do a hope-I-never-get-found-out thing.

Hoping someone here has a solution or, quite frankly, it's going to be the end of modelling. I just won't brush paint and there will be no point in building stuff that can never be painted.

Cheers,

Tom

Easy!

Use one of these, ditch the spray cans, switch to airbrushing acrylics, At worst, the Tamiya paints are alcohol based and the smell dissipates quickly, generally are non-toxic. Or, even better use the spray booth in an upstairs window, generally breezes are stronger up there and less likely for anyone to smell. Generally if you are airbrushing, the amount of solvents for someone to smell are small, you should not have any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Painting-T-shirts/dp/B00BMUH8L6/ref=asc_df_B00BMUH8L6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061515308&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11613343807595248589&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026827&hvtargid=pla-350441725185&psc=1

Hi Tom,

Surely that caveat only applies to industrial like considerations? (e.g. don't store 20gal drums of ELF Racing fuel in your spare bedroom or spray cars in 2 pack in your garage).

I can't imagine you'd have any issues for a hobby. Metho and many other household items for cleaning (pressurised cans) would have to be banned then as well. Hopefully the body corporate isn't too officious but then no one wants a Grenfell either.

Matty

I have to agree with Matty,   If you vent out a window so your townhouse doesn't stink like thinner during a spray session you should be fine.  It's such a small qty being a hobby it's almost no different than the wife's nail polish.

I am sure the intent of the rule is to avoid fires and upsetting neighbors with fowl smells.

Just to be clear, I actually do have that spray booth, it works well, in the winter I vent it out the window, lacquers will smell up the room, but everything else is good. My wife has asthma and my son has airway sensitivity, both are fine when I use this.

I really don't think it would be an issue with models. Especially if you shoot acrylics.

The venting through a bucket really works. I made one out of a five gallon bucket and garden spray heads when I painted my full scale Mustang GT. Could not smell anything outside of my garage.

Is venting through the bucket the same as into the bucket? I would think having a hose inserted into water blowing bubbles-if I am understanding this correctly-would create too much back-pressure for the system as it doesn’t sound free-flowing to me.

I made a blow through trap. Cut the bottom out of the bucket and blew fumes through it. About a dozen spray heads around the side of the bucket did the trick.

Posted (edited)

I have airbrushed in apartments and townhomes. I found an air conditioner window venting kit for a portable air conditioner. when I want to paint  I open the window a few inches, and place the vent in the opening, then close the window on the vent, the hose is connected to the spray booth. Since the spray booth has a filter it seems to absorb most of the smell of enamel and lacquer.    You can make something similar with thin plywood and parts from a dryer vent kit.  The only unknown is how nosy your new neighbors are.

this picture should make it more clear 

how-to-vent-your-portable-ac-steps.jpg?w

Edited by kurth

Easy!

Use one of these, ditch the spray cans, switch to airbrushing acrylics, At worst, the Tamiya paints are alcohol based and the smell dissipates quickly, generally are non-toxic. Or, even better use the spray booth in an upstairs window, generally breezes are stronger up there and less likely for anyone to smell. Generally if you are airbrushing, the amount of solvents for someone to smell are small, you should not have any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Painting-T-shirts/dp/B00BMUH8L6/ref=asc_df_B00BMUH8L6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061515308&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11613343807595248589&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026827&hvtargid=pla-350441725185&psc=1

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have this exact set up and I spray down in the basement and don't even vent it outside, and there is almost ZERO smell or paint fumes, and my wife has a nose like a Beagle,, this one works like a charm, and I use ENAMELS.... this is THE way to go.... you can have the option to vent it out a window if you like... I got mine thru Micro Mark tools..... AND they have their Spring Sale on right now, it retails for $129.95 and is on sale for $ 99.95 , I just got the email....

Ha. Great topic. I sprayed all day yesterday in my apartment 400 feet up. (I live in Singapore in the Marina area). I use the exhaust fan on my range. Open the sliding door to my balcony, use a fan to suck out any fumes outside. When I clean my airbrush I use one of those jars with a filter on it which captures most of the fumes. I throw away any tissues I use in cleaning right away. If I use Mr. Surfacer primer, I usually do this out of a rattle can on the enclosed stairway on my floor. (Shhhhhh, please don’t tell anyone),

A slight hint of enamel smells like victory! (To me anyway). Carry on.

Troy