MARU5137

Cricket officianados...is this Cricket?

Most people who haven't grown up with it don't get cricket. I don't get hockey - or almost any other form of sport ever devised. Cricket is my only sporting vice. My guess about cricket's lack of popularity in Canada is that it's most likely due to the weather.

Kev

Agree, nothing worse than than trying to play in mud or with wet equipment. :hmmm:

Guest Peterpools

Watched the video and have no idea what I was watching other then the last "pitch" which seemed to deny giving the batter a chance to hit the ball. I know I am using the wrong names for everything but does this bending of the rules go on all the time in important matches and is actually part of the game?

I was going to say something about the uniforms but then I started thinking of the NFL when they wear the insane retro uniforms.

Peter

No this was a once off of using an unfair rule that only applied to the one day cricket series.The rule was banned after this match. Back in the late 70's I think it was there was a breakaway from the traditional Test cricket to the one day cricket series with shorter matches which was the mastermind of Kerry Packer who owned one of the main TV stations in Aus.He wanted to create shorter matches so people would be more interested in watching a faster paced game which did create higher TV ratings compared to a Test match which can go on for days.There was a lot of money in it for the cricket players who broke away from main stream cricket and Test matches. Traditional Test cricket is white uniforms for all players but with the one day cricket series they wanted to create colored uniforms for the individual teams to distinguish the series from Test cricket.

Agree, nothing worse than than trying to play in mud or with wet equipment. :hmmm:

Or four feet of snow.

Kev's take makes so much sense It's a face palm.

I don't get cricket at all,  but what I really don't get is why it's so popular in almost all the Commonwealth but not in Canada?  

You know that Canada has been a member of the ICC since the late 1960's. You don't have test match status, just one day and T20 at the moment. 

Its no accident that on the continent pitches are prepared specifically for spin bowling or that some teams are expert at reverse swing. Either way, batsmen are all at sea unless the ball is moving straight up and down or not too high.

Matty

You should play on the crap we have to; all weather synthetic pitches with shredded rubber rolled into it. The swing and bounce with a 2 piece ball is ridiculous, it's pretty much destroyed batting in the competition as everyone wants to bowl. If you can actually make runs on this crap, you're worth your weight in gold.

Brad..

Is that the norm everywhere or is THAT just where you play.

:frantic:

I cannot imagine playing on synthetic "grass" having played on earth and real grass that gives a true bounce.

I feel for you

:hmmm:

Posted (edited)

Or four feet of snow.

Kev's take makes so much sense It's a face palm.

But they do....play on snow...

:yahoo:

Snow Cricket World Cup 2013, Montreal, Canada".

Hardy souls...

I used to play field hockey on snow and the ground/field was like hard steel... you fell ..you hurt. :oops:

https://youtu.be/n4S-BzfQlno

And....

"Cricket Games Around the World "

https://youtu.be/lqq2LCHcO9g

Edited by MARU5137

You should play on the crap we have to; all weather synthetic pitches with shredded rubber rolled into it. The swing and bounce with a 2 piece ball is ridiculous, it's pretty much destroyed batting in the competition as everyone wants to bowl. If you can actually make runs on this crap, you're worth your weight in gold.

Well the moment you said synthetic wicket and 2-piece ball it's going to be hard for batsmen. The 2-piece bounces much higher, swings readily and the synthetic pitches make the ball move all over the place when the ball bounces. A 2-piece ball is almost like a taped up tennis ball compared to the 4-piece.  Those balls and pitch surfaces tend to produce a lot more backfoot playing batsmen. Not as much driving on the up.

Matting was common when i was junior and playing in the lower ranked seniors. It affords each team uniformity in the pitch surface but something for the ball to grip into. Pretty cost effective for a cheap council multipurpose oval.

I played mostly on optimum turf wickets with nice run-ups and a fairly smooth outfield and 4-piece balls. One of the best sized grounds in cricket (Camberwell Cricket Oval). Fair to both batsmen and bowlers. Back then wickets had a bit in them early but as they dried out shifted the favour to the batsmen.

I would have really liked to play hockey but no left handed sticks. I watched Lacrosse once...OMG...brutal...but good.

Matty

Matty, what does "4 piece balls mean "

And I played lacrosse in College.

You had to be a boxer combined with a ballet dancer with the elegance of a tennis player to play Lacrosse.

The number of times I ended up bruised and battered.. it felt like 12 Rounds With ALI !!!

:rofl:

Brutal is exactly right.

:fight:

Matty, what does "4 piece balls mean "

And I played lacrosse in College.

You had to be a boxer combined with a ballet dancer with the elegance of a tennis player to play Lacrosse.

The number of times I ended up bruised and battered.. it felt like 12 Rounds With ALI !!!

:rofl:

Brutal is exactly right.

:fight:

2 piece is two halves of leather stitched together. 4- piece is 4 quarters. The two piece ball is also lighter.

Yeah, the Lacrosse I watched was pretty epic. Definitely some massive collisions and sticks ploughing into players. Not high stick rules like hockey by the looks.

Matty

Brad..

Is that the norm everywhere or is THAT just where you play.

:frantic:

I cannot imagine playing on synthetic "grass" having played on earth and real grass that gives a true bounce.

I feel for you

:hmmm:

Just within the competition my team plays. They are in the process of changing to a much harder synthetic turf with a shorter pile which is much better to bat on. You can actually play a proper drive on it. As Matt says, the current all weather stuff pretty much ruined the batting in the competition as the bounce, even off a good length would pass above your waist. Hell I got hit in the face keeping from a ball that bounced 1ft in front of the batsman bowled by a legspinner. I wouldn't say that the pitches are good for back foot batsman (or any batsman), I'm primarily a back foot player and even I find it difficult because you're always hitting the ball on the up. To keep the ball on the ground you have to get over it and roll the wrists, but with the new decks, you can actually hit down on the ball. I've had this argument before with the coaches who said I wouldn't be much of a batsman on the new pitches because of my back foot play, had to point out I'd made 96, 62, 50, 8 the 4 times I've played on them.

Guest Peterpools

Yikes

It's like a different language for us in the states. Still, pretty cool :)

Peter

it was 1981 when many players moved away from the official test cricket to play one day or world series cricket matches.

Wrong ... World Series Cricket (or as some refer to it 'Packer Cricket') had it's origins in 1976 ... and commenced in the 77-78 season, with the final tournament being in 78-79, before 'reunification' ...

World Series Cricket included a schedule of "Super Tests" and "One Day" matches between 3 teams WSC Australia, WSC West Indies and WSC World XI ...

After reunification, they kept the title of "World Series Cricket" for the one day tournaments held here ... but they are recorded as official matches.

Bowling an underarm delivery was never expressly outlawed in any format of the game, anywhere in the world at that point ... but because no-one had ever considered doing it - the rules were never amended.

Of course ... after that debacle, they were. Captains order to his younger brother ... and to the shame of all of our nations players afterward.

While not in the spirit of the game, at least it was within the rules ... Our biggest shame was televised worldwide on the most recent tour of South Africa ... It will take some time for that one to disappear from memory.

Rog :)