MARU5137

Cricket officianados...is this Cricket?

I did NOT know they could do this in order to stop the opposing team from scoring ANY runs.

I am Gobsmacked. It's not very gentlemanly is it.. :doh:

:frantic:

Phewef!!!!!

Most disgraceful moment in the history of cricket.

Posted (edited)

You can't normally. This was World Cup cricket and underarm bowling  was banned afterwards. In Test match cricket it was never allowed. Pretty said day as most Aussies and the team thought it was a cheap move to win  a game. It was a decision of the captain and something he regrets now in later life.

Edited by Maxim

Posted (edited)

it was 1981 when many players moved away from the official test cricket to play one day or world series cricket matches.

Edited by Maxim

Even I remember that, and I don't watch cricket. Nice to be reminded of the great Richie Benaud.

And Benson & Hedges.

Remember the days you could go to a pub, get a pint of Bristol-brewed Courage Best Bitter and light up a Bensons?

Bliss!

Tony

...and people who couldn't handle cigarette smoke wisely stayed out of bars, and let folks enjoy themselves?

Well, we had our turn, now you have a smoke-free yours.

I do think it accounts for the large number of pubs disappearing by the wayside. Smokers drank more: drink's too wet without a smoke, smoke's too dry without a drink. And baccy fumes were a whole lot sweeter than BO.

The surviving ones make their money from selling good food at restaurant prices or showing sports on big TV - like cricket.

Also miss seeing the Formula One cars with Marlboro and John Player Special schemes. As kids, we had Scalextric slot cars with those tobacco company liveries! Imagine that now! Hysterical!

Tony

It shows how pernicious the desire to win at elite level can become for some people. Kiwis remind us of that day routinely. It was a dark day indeed.

Mind you, back in those World Series Cricket days the cricketing conditions ( pitch/outfield) offered something for the bowlers and fielding side. Now the game has been biased overwhelmingly in favour of the batsmen. No doubt in no small part to the spectacle TV creates of balls been smashed baseball-style over a fence.

I have some sympathy for bowlers who toil and damage their bodies bowling a ball that no longer moves on pitches designed for maximum batting output.

Whilst the game is a better spectacle for TV, cricket is not played with one ounce of the skill and touch, balance of power and restraint it used to be. It might be more fun to watch but it's merely an indoor cricket style game played outdoors.

Its no accident that on the continent pitches are prepared specifically for spin bowling or that some teams are expert at reverse swing. Either way, batsmen are all at sea unless the ball is moving straight up and down or not too high.

Matty

I was always surprised that with McKechnie's background as an All Black he didn't just chin both the Chappell's. I know I'd have been tempted.

Also surprised that Trevor went through with it. Captain and big brother or not he should have told Greg to get stuffed. Even Chappelli, who was as ruthless as they come, thought it was a poor move.

I don't get cricket at all,  but what I really don't get is why it's so popular in almost all the Commonwealth but not in Canada?  

Most people who haven't grown up with it don't get cricket. I don't get hockey - or almost any other form of sport ever devised. Cricket is my only sporting vice. My guess about cricket's lack of popularity in Canada is that it's most likely due to the weather.

Kev