Peterpools

Bad News - Sales Tax

I really like Bill Cross’s post. Trade is not a zero sum game where we win and they loose. It is a complex global ecosystem where we give to get and so on. We let China get an unfair advantage but that horse is out of the barn as stated above. One of the purposes of TPP was to address China indirectly by strengthening our relationship with the nations around it, but we walked away from that one.

Now we indscrimniately pursue tarrifs against our allies and enemies. Take Canada, if we launched a trade war with Canada alone we would probably overpower their economy but by taking on the rest of the world. Canada has very clearly stated they will tariff goods from the U.S. that they can get from other sources or from home. So our sellers will get cut out and that business will go elsewhere. We encourage the rest of the world to deal us out of the game and they will be strengthening their relationships without us now. Take TPP again they went ahead without us. Now we don’t get the benefits of that deal while China gets to reap the rewards of the U.S. being out.

Same as to Kyoto climate accords. The rest of the world is moving on. The Chinese are headed towards dominating global clean energy and by ignoring it and defending a few coal jobs in Kentucky we are abandoning trillions of dollars of clean energy development to the Chinese.

The bottom line for me will remain what it's been for years now, throw the item in the cart, see what sales tax (if any) and shipping charges add up to, and If I don't like the final tally, I kill that deal and start looking elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

The bottom line for me will remain what it's been for years now, throw the item in the cart, see what sales tax (if any) and shipping charges add up to, and If I don't like the final tally, I kill that deal and start looking elsewhere.

This. It is what it is.

Disappointed, but in no way surprised, that this thread has taken a political (decidedly anti-US policy) turn. Tariffs, climate change, intellectual property, have nothing to do with state sales tax.

Edited by Dave Williams

Posted (edited)

Disappointed, but in no way surprised, that this thread has taken a political (decidedly anti-US policy) turn. Tariffs, climate change, intellectual property, have nothing to do with state sales tax.

"The knee bone is connected to the shin bone, the shin bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the foot bone, the foot bone's connected to the toe bone..."

We are in a time of great change. With change comes unintended consequences. Some of those unintended consequences may redound against us or for us. Only time will tell. But we should not think that trade, tariffs, sales tax or taxation in any form are simple matters.

Before we venture into territories un-allowed here, let's move on to other topics. Like who's going to win the World Cup? Or will the Yankees dominate the American League? What about the Rangers draft choices? Or is the new Jurassic Park movie the turd The Times critic said it is?

Edited by Bill Cross

:please:  Guys

I asked the posts to be on the topic only, which is the new sales tax in the US; not tariffs, world economies and the like. All I was posting was the decision of the Supreme Court as to how the law will change in regards to tax being charged. Early in the thread, I learned I was mistaken in how taxes will be applied and learned quite a bit especially to start looking at sales tax in the very near future on orders I'll be placing. I would be very interested in hearing from vendors as to how the new tax laws will effect them and how they are planning apply the new laws when they go into effect.

I ask again, please just stay on the original topic. If everyone want sto expand the discussion, just start another thread - last I looked there was no charge for beginning new discussion topics.

Thanks

Peter

Posted (edited)

my thoughts on what tariffs were supposed to be about. If memory serves me correct, during the campaign, tariffs were going to be used to create jobs by increasing manufacturing at home by raising the cost of importing products into the states. How all this will work out is anyone guess.

Me, I just watch the stock market every day and keep my fingers crossed my investments grow with all the controversy. Us old people are rather conservative.

Peter

It won't, all it does is put jobs at risk, slap a 25% tax on steel and aluminium imports to stimulate home grown production is fine but as I believe the likes of Harley are now being taxed an extra 25% here to balance it out simply means that their overseas sales will simply die, not a lot of point producing the home grown metal if those using it cannot sell their wares. At least model wise I can see the states suffering with the rest of us possibly gaining cheaper models as they try to sell them into other markets.

The U.K. Does not manufacture anymore either, but that is because we as the US are more design oriented these days.

I often wonder why people rock the boat as tax is a fickle thing and rocking a boat causes ripples the world over... In a way I am glad we have VAT and not the odd system you have in the states with sales tax, so much for United States , tax wise it appears to be far from it.

Edited by TonyT

Hmmm, what affect on Ebay purchases?

Will it be handled through Paypal?

And what if I buy a kit from an LSP'er in another State?

Hope you don't mind my questions because

like Towelie from South Park cartoon "I got no idea what's going on"  :frantic:

i pay the total sales tax as charge by any brick and mortar store in that city. Slowly but surely the advantages of on line buying besides convenience and or selection are being chipped away at.

Who knows , maybe local hobby shops could return  :shrug:

How about 'no' tariffs anywhere. Wouldn't that just make

everybody happy ?  :yahoo:

I haven't seen any real politics in this thread. Taxes, economics and tariffs yes.

If Peter wants the thread locked we will, but so far it hasn't crossed the line into politics but has come close.

I suggest everyone take note of Peter's request and keep this on topic which is the new sales tax in the US and how it will affect your hobby.

Ron

Posted (edited)

:please: Guys

I've been following the discussion and asked twice before to please keep the discussion on the new internet tax issue here in the states, how it will effect us and vendors in our opinions. Somehow the discussion keeps on getting sidetracked in the arena of tariffs and other areas as well. No, I am not going to ask to have the thread locked and ask the discussion stay on track. For the guys who want to discuss tariffs and other topics, why just not start another thread discussing your thoughts there.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I saw the Supreme Court allowing states to collect sales tax on internet sales. I am curious to hear what the rules will be for entities like eBay, Amazon and others with many small businesses operating. My daughter sells her stuff on Etsy and Amazon so will be interesting. It is going to be a pain for the little guy keeping track of all the different states.

Hopefully, they will make it relatively easy to do or make only for a certain level of sales. As I understand it, N. Dakota already passed legislation to collect sales taxes on online sales from companies that have over 100 transactions per year or over $100,000 in sales. Knowing government, it probably won't be easy, though.

At least it shouldn't affect my purchases much, no sales tax here in Oregon, though the legislature has tried several times. We just keep voting it down.

Posted (edited)

Theo

I'm not sure what you mean, the discussion was on the Supreme Courts ruling allowing sales tax to be charged on all internet sales here in the states. That is not politics: it's a question of adding tax to our purchases when were weren't charged before. We were discussing how this will effect our on line buying and costs and nothing more

Peter

Edited by Peterpools