WNW Albatros DV 'Richthofen'

aircare84

You might be out of his will?

WNW question: will the original boxing be their own collectors value? I have two Tripes.

Good question.  I think some modelers do value specific boxings as a "collector's item" but I would imagine the resale value will plummet once new boxings are offered.

One factor to consider is decal markings; they are always different from boxing to boxing and I think some would pay more for an older boxing simply b/c of the decal options it provided.

I have noticed that the WNW market on Ebay, as a whole, has gone pretty soft lately.

I think modelers realize that if a kit they want is sold out, it has a good chance of coming back at normal MSRP, so the secondary market has taken a beating.

The Baron not only flew a bunch of different Albatrosses, he flew a whole bunch of Dr.1s. WW1 planes had a fairly short lifespan. The Hobbycraft Dr.1 has markings for many of the Baron's Tripes as well as one of Lothar's Tripes. Many of the Barons mounts got passed down to replacement pilots or his brother, Lothar. Udet carried it one step farther. He flew his striped Dr.1 and his D.Vll at the same time.

Edited by Fred Jack

Guest Clunkmeister
On 6/29/2018 at 2:07 PM, ringleheim said:

Good question.  I think some modelers do value specific boxings as a "collector's item" but I would imagine the resale value will plummet once new boxings are offered.

One factor to consider is decal markings; they are always different from boxing to boxing and I think some would pay more for an older boxing simply b/c of the decal options it provided.

I have noticed that the WNW market on Ebay, as a whole, has gone pretty soft lately.

I think modelers realize that if a kit they want is sold out, it has a good chance of coming back at normal MSRP, so the secondary market has taken a beating.

Agreed on the secondary market. I sold a Gotha on eBay a month or two ago and got silly money for it, yet an original unopened LVG boxing got not even a look. 

C'est la Vie. 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:05 PM, LSP_Mike said:

You might be out of his will?

WNW question: will the original boxing be their own collectors value? I have two Tripes.

I'd be surprised. You look at other kits, & the initial boxing is worth no more, and in many cases less, than the newer boxing's.

2 hours ago, DeanKB said:

I'd be surprised. You look at other kits, & the initial boxing is worth no more, and in many cases less, than the newer boxing's.

But in WnW case it's about the decal options available. For some aircraft with plenty of aftermarket options available, this is not that relevant to builders, but in other cases where there are limited aftermarket decal options, the original WnW release has additional value. A good case in point is the W.29. The reissue as part of the F2A/W.29 duellist boxing only comes with  markings for one of Freidrich Christiansen's machines and Pheon provide the same option. This is a problem for those of us who love the W.29 but prefer not to model the aircraft of convicted war criminals. The  LVG reissued with the Camel also provides  markings for one aircraft.  

In addition, how long will the reissues be available for? I can imagine the Collishaw Tripe selling out very fast. When it does, I'd guess that both the original and reissue will command premium prices until the next Tripe reissue. So while I agree that WnW reissues have altered the market for OOP kits, I think some will still retain high prices for builders as well as collectors..

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Edited by iang

27 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I imagine EBay will soon tell us if the original kits are worth more than the reissues.

If the decals were so in demand, I wonder why Pheon & others have ignored this demand?

I've been watching Ebay heavily for the last couple weeks and there seems to have been a small flood of Albatros becoming available at not much more than retail.  I think this release caused some to cut lose on their 'investment'

Gaz

• LSP_K2 featured this topic
  • LSP_K2 unfeatured this topic
14 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

With sooo many planes never released in 1/32nd scale, why the almost religious fascination in yet another DR1?

It is one of those planes that for me, is just “it” and I want the best version of it possible, thus a WNW version.  For me there are half a dozen planes that ring the bell more than any other and the DRI is one of them.  I don’t care how many planes have not been done in 1/32.  I am not by and large interested in obscure aircraft.  The exception to that is that WNW are doing some very interesting planes that I have never heard of.  Still I have not purchased most of those.  

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

It is one of those planes that for me, is just “it” and I want the best version of it possible, thus a WNW version.  For me there are half a dozen planes that ring the bell more than any other and the DRI is one of them.  I don’t care how many planes have not been done in 1/32.  I am not by and large interested in obscure aircraft.  The exception to that is that WNW are doing some very interesting planes that I have never heard of.  Still I have not purchased most of those.  

I couldn't agree more. There were but two principal WWI aircraft that I felt I really needed to have, the Fokker D.VII and Dr.I. Thankfully WNW gave us the D.VII's, but the Dr.I would be the cream of the crop, WWI aviation wise, at least to me. Since WNW is the Tamiya of WWI aircraft models in this scale, it seems quite natural to want a Dr.I from them, over one from any other manufacturer.