Fisher Sea Fury: 7/7/18: The Centaurus/ Change of Plans

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian .. right with you on the wing issue and look. Both of my Sea Fury's have to be the latest runs as they have the open cowl for the Centaurus engine but the wing might be from an earlier run. A bit of tweaking and the wing is on and the CCA drying. Later today, I'll reinforce the interior seams with JB Weld Epoxy for extra strength.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

I live on Long Island and we'll absolutely get together when you're on the Isalnd

Peter

Hey Peter,

Looks like you are doing the Oxford blue Sea Fury from RAAF?

I'm doing that one too, someday.  One thing I cannot find is the color of the wheel bay interiors although I know the restored version flying today is light gray.

Also, I'm paying attention to the colors you use in the cockpit too because my sources are scant in that area too....

Vince

Guest Peterpools

Vince

I'm kind of winging it but my researched showed early Sea Fury's left the factory with the yellow/green chromate color for the wheel wells and then later aircraft were finished with the underside color of Sky. Aircraft repainted in the field also had the wheel wells painted Sky. Since I'm going after the RAN 805 Sq of 1968, I'm assuming the wheel wells were still Sky but I do not have any definitive info or photos so prove it one way or another. If you are going to model the restored Sea Fury, then I would follow his colors to the T.

I normally knock myself out with the colors but I'm already committed as the wheel wheels are painted and the wing is glued into place.

Peter

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Anthony

I live on Long Island and we'll absolutely get together when you're on the Isalnd

Peter

Wonderful Peter, it will be one of my highlights.  Will keep in touch and let you know more closer to the time

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ray

Getting everything now to fit is going to be a bit tricky - a bit too much zeal in sanding the wing to fuselage surfaces. 

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Carl 

Right choice for sure and completely agree. I can just see a wing coming loose overtime with a bit of rough handling when dusting the models in the display. 

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

Stunning, Peter, just stunning!

i think you made the right move on the wing as there is not much of anything holding the folded sections together other than tiny resin hinge points. You can make steel support braces I suppose, but the real trick would be to cast the hinges in bronze with long anchor points to go in the wings, and then epoxy them in place.   But that's beyond my ability 

You're on track to blow your previous RCN build away with how this is looking. 

Awesome!

Guest Peterpools

Hi Ernie

Agreed and making slow and some clumsy progress. By working to tighten up the wing - fuselage fit which did go well, I inadvertently made the fuselage a bit too shallow for the cowling to mate up correctly and now have some tricky filling and sanding to do. Sometimes the lesser of the two evils is the better way to go. Ready to break out the Milliput and start filling.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...