paul fisher

How do you feel about using masks for markings?

I'm curious about the general consensus regarding painting on simple markings using masks.

There are some great paint jobs for some of my kits that are simply not practical to run in water slide decal form due to the costs and the demand for 500 sheet print runs.

Think  more navy and Marines Skyraiders, Marines markings for the F4D-1 Skyray....Some nifty high viz markings for the F9F-5 Panther, Ted Williams F9F-2 Panther from Korea....Civilian marked Meteor F.8 ( The Reaper! ) and Meteor T.7 in Rolls Royce colors....Even some of the more obscure but beautiful paint schemes applied to the two seat Hunters.

I can get really good masks made up in relatively small batches by Montex, this would open the door to some very nice LSP's that otherwise are not possible.

Do tell!

Paul

Much prefer using masks but like several here I make my own using a Silhouette cutter.

This. Since getting my own mask cutter, it's opened up whole new worlds as far as schemes available.

That being said, if I were buying a conversion or other kit that came WITH paint masks already, I would go for those for sure.

The only caveat that I have found to that is the paint mask material......

In the past many companies that I have purchased kits and masks from used my favorite mask material; Oramask 810.

The problem with it however, is that the rolls it comes on are pre-shrunk. This is not a problem if you are using a home/personal cutter, you just wait to cut the masks until you are ready for paint.......however, I have found that once the masks are cut, heat and other environmental factors can really make the masks shrink away from the tight cuts initially made.

This can take days or weeks to happen if left cool and dry, but amp up the heat, humidity or if they are included by a manufacturer in their kit, and end up setting a long time before use, this shrinking can make the masks quite unusable. This has happened on many of my old Ad Astra sets, and even happened to the paint masks for my little Extra 330.

I ended up having to get a replacement set from them.

Just something to think about.

I love masks, though I am only new to making them myself.  i would rather use a mask than a decal that had a lot of clear area requiring fine trimming or the risk that some part of the clear will show itself when the build is finished.

But some things are just too small and too detailed to mask, so I know I will never be decal-free.

When given the choice I prefer masks over decals. I would love to see masks for the panther or the fat face skyraider. I don’t own a silhouette and I don’t think I have time to invest in mastering it so I would gladly buy good quality masks.

Masks have been the best all around tool for me. Using them for the larger graphics was my limit due to having to cut them out manually so now nking about that cutter so I can do just what you’re thinking and do all the markings. I like the kabuki over vinyl since it’s less prone to stretching. I’ve had limited success with reusing the kabuki though, contrary to their claims so that benefit hasn’t paid off for me at least.

Paul, I use masks whenever possible, they alleviate so many issues caused by decals. As a matter of fact, I had Maketar make me some custom masks for the Cougar I bought from you. I highly recommend you consider them, understandably, small stencils still need to be decals, but larger markings look better as painted on.

Definitely say masks over decals where possible. Have used Maketar sets a few times and never had any issues. Have also tried the pe masks for stencils and they also work well with a bit of fiddling.

Myself, i love them.

I mean, there is still a place for conventional decals, especially for the stencils and itty bitty stuff. However, given the scale i'd much rather paint on as many markings as i can, as opposed to using decals. For things like national insignia, they're pretty big and prone to all sorts of issues during the setting process.

Case in point: I'd really prefer to paint on the "NAVY" BuAer Number, Tail Code and National insignias on my RF-8, if i can.

-d-

I always prefer to masks where possible, especially for the larger markings. It's easier to get them to go around small bumps and there's no fear of them silvering.

I think they're the way to go in 1/32 and bigger scales.

Carl