PCM 1/32 Fw 190A-4

HobbyZoneUSA

Since the landing gear of the Fw 190 is so easy to get wrong, and because the mechanical fit of the gear struts is so minimal in this kit, I needed some help. Using some brass/aluminum tube scraps that K&S sells in boxes, I found a diameter that would snugly fit over the axles and created a telescoping jig that would hold the gear strugs in alignment. While the photo doesn't clearly show it, the gear struts angle inward properly. I glued the struts into the wells and used a bottle to hold the forward angle of the gear. When all had set up, the gear is still flimsy, so I applied cyano around the base of each strut and now the model will sit on its gear.pcm_32011_13.jpg

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA

After finishing up the small details and working the paint and weathering, this model is finished. I decided to do the washable white and depict it starting to wear off in places. The proplem with the washable white was that it was intended to be washed off in the Spring, so cleaning off the usual grit and grime would also wear or remove the paint as well.pcm_32011_14.jpg

dsc00517.jpg

25 minutes ago, Hartmann52 said:

And what about the armor plate in the cockpit?

What is missing? The rear armor plate in the kit was used as provided in the kit.

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA

Armor isnt missing, the kit provides the armor for an A-3. The A-4 armor is a bit broader and more trapizoidal.

Simple solution: grab an Hasegawa A-8 kit, which has two sets of canopies and armor, for flat canopy and bulged. Plan on using the bulged for the A-8 and take the flat canopy and armor and use it on the A-4. The canopies in the Hasegawa and PCM kits are identical in shape. The shape of the armor for the flat canopy stayed the same from the A-4 on through the D-9.

9 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Armor isnt missing, the kit provides the armor for an A-3. The A-4 armor is a bit broader and more trapizoidal.

Simple solution: grab an Hasegawa A-8 kit, which has two sets of canopies and armor, for flat canopy and bulged. Plan on using the bulged for the A-8 and take the flat canopy and armor and use it on the A-4. The canopies in the Hasegawa and PCM kits are identical in shape. The shape of the armor for the flat canopy stayed the same from the A-4 on through the D-9.

Thanks Ray, I recall seeing you mention that previously but I'm going to keep this out of the box as-is and call it done. I'll be writing this up over on CMO and will mention the missing backplate armor for the A-4 conversion as I'm certain you guys will be doing in the LSP review of this kit.

8 hours ago, HobbyZoneUSA said:

Thanks Ray, I recall seeing you mention that previously but I'm going to keep this out of the box as-is and call it done. I'll be writing this up over on CMO and will mention the missing backplate armor for the A-4 conversion as I'm certain you guys will be doing in the LSP review of this kit.

No problem, it is a subtle difference. That is probably why they didn't bother to make a new one for the kit.

It sure turned out nice! I like the weathered winter scheme, you pulled it off nicely!

Crap! I know what happened. I didn't pick it up looking at the photos till you guys pointed it out. The only "error" Michael made is that since he did this build out of box, he followed the directions. Unfortunately, there is an error in the instructions on page 8, step 25. Part B43 is shown 180 degrees the wrong direction. If you do it the way they show, it assembles as Michael has it. It should be built similar to the Hasegawa parts, as shown here:

2092-27.jpgHasegawa's part F13 is basically the same as PCM part B43.

I caught the error when I was going through the kit and researching it, and promptly forgot about it! Sorry about that Michael, if I would have remembered I would have pointed out the error in the instructions. I also forgot to mention it in my review. I will have to edit it.

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Crap! I know what happened. I didn't pick it up looking at the photos till you guys pointed it out. The only "error" Michael made is that since he did this build out of box, he followed the directions. Unfortunately, there is an error in the instructions on page 8, step 25. Part B43 is shown 180 degrees the wrong direction. If you do it the way they show, it assembles as Michael has it. It should be built similar to the Hasegawa parts, as shown here:

2092-27.jpgHasegawa's part F13 is basically the same as PCM part B43.

I caught the error when I was going through the kit and researching it, and promptly forgot about it! Sorry about that Michael, if I would have remembered I would have pointed out the error in the instructions. I also forgot to mention it in my review. I will have to edit it.

Now that you mention it, flipping that part around would make the canopy slide system align better, just like my Dora...

has_08251_26.jpg

I pulled the canopy back off the A-4 and removed the armored back and strut/brace. It didn't matter which way I moved the brace, it wasn't anything like the part in the Hasegawa kit, so I reinstalled it and readjusted the armored back to the upright position for takeoff and landing.pcm_32011_23.jpg