PCM 1/32 Fw 190A-4

HobbyZoneUSA

I tend to prefer the worn/white wash look better than stark white also. Another thing to note, notice that it is running up and the flaps are dropped, a lot of people will argue that flaps didnt get dropped until the pilot was on the runway, but this seems to indicate otherwise. I feel cold just looking at that photo. 

fw190_variants_04.jpg

Hence why it is easier to buy the PCM early 190s then trying to convert any of the later models of this aircraft. l have built two PCM Spitires that with some work came out great so how bad could their 190's be?

Hacker

1to1, looks like a generator on other side of plane. Probably trying to warm up the engine before flight. Dont know if that explains the flaps or not.

Hacker, there is nothing greatly wrong with the PCM kit (did you read my reviews?), other than the usual extra work needed on a short-run kit. Backdating the A-5 is an issue because they lengthened the fuselage of the A-5 to deal with a center of gravity issue. Montex did a conversion set to backdate the A-5 to either the A-3 or A-4 (2 different releases) but they provided new fuselage halves to do it.

So I've heard that the wing/fuselage joint can be challenging on (earlier releases of) this kit. I finished gluing up the wings and taped together the wings to the fuselage to see what would happen. There's a little gap at the wing root on either side, but otherwise it all seems to line up nicely.

pcm_32011_09.jpgpcm_32011_08.jpgpcm_32011_07.jpg

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA

With respect to RBrown's photos of the FW-190 A4, I have a question. The yellow is quite pale to what my impression of the yellow identity markings would be. Does that or could that mean that all of the colors might actually be darker than what the photos show? I am no expert so am really happy to see those photos posted.

There was variation in Yellow 04, as demonstrated in this photo...

42075300845_a9190839fb_h.jpg

Try a spreader bar.

Once  the cockpit tub and the front-end of the aircraft is all glued into place, we'll see if a spreader will be needed or strip styrene in the roots, but given some of the in-progress wing roots I've seen in the past for this kit, I had to see if there was going to be an issue here and there isn't. 

• 2 weeks later...

Work quietly continues on the Fw 190A-4 - the cockpit is assembled, painted, and installed in the fuselage. Ditto for the engine. One problem with the cockpit is fit - there may have been changes to the cockpit since the original release, I don't know, but the styrene instrument panel barely fits into the resin tub, and doesn't fit once you add the Eduard dual-layer instrument panels. For me, the styrene panel needed to be trimmed on the sides to fit up inside the fuselage, and since the Eduard panels are oversized to begin with, there is trimming there required as well. The instructions show a throttle, but none was included in mine. 

The various parts that make up the cowling and gun hood require trimming and fitting to go together. Even then, it took some time with wet-sanding to blend all of the parts together, especially the cowling rings.

The wing-fuselage joint fit as well as the previous dry-fitting, with a slight gap at the rear on either side of the joint. Someone had suggested a spreader bar but that would only break the lower fuselage seam. We'll fill this the old-fashioned way.

Here the fuselage, wing, and tail subassemblies are setting up. I use liquid cement to get a strong bond but it takes a little time for the glue to cure. While cyano will also do the job, any flexing of a cyano joint will usually fail the glue for me.

pcm_32011_10.jpg

Moving along nicely!

The throttle should have been an integral part of the resin cockpit, but apparently was a casualty of too many casts. I re-checked my kits and it appeared on my original A-1/2/3 kit, but is not on my latest (A-4) one.

I was able to get the IP to fit by trimming back the upper IP with the ammo counters. I do think I had to sand back the sides of the plastic IP, too.

Do not forgot the rolled pad on the front of the cowling should be continuous in front of the gunsight. Hasegawa kits have the same problem. Also do not forget to revise the pilot's back armor to the A-4 style, which is not provided in the kit. 

Great work! I really like the value this kit seems to bring to the table, and so far it seems no major issues to deal with.  

The various parts that make up the cowling and gun hood require trimming and fitting to go together. Even then, it took some time with wet-sanding to blend all of the parts together, especially the cowling rings.

As to the fit of the "cowl rings" are you referring to the front lip of the cowl?  I only bring this up as I encountered a severe "lip" on my Hasegawa 190; it stuck out quite substantially proud from the surrounding cowl. 

I learned later unbeknownst to me, (after sanding it smooth to the rest of the cowling) that the leading edge lip on the Fw-190 had in fact a big lip on the 1:1, and stuck out quite proud on the real deal as far as I know. Im not sure this applies to all 190s or just some, as Im not a 190 expert by any means. 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-674-7772-13A%2C_F

Great work! I really like the value this kit seems to bring to the table, and so far it seems no major issues to deal with.  

As to the fit of the "cowl rings" are you referring to the front lip of the cowl?  I only bring this up as I encountered a severe "lip" on my Hasegawa 190; it stuck out quite substantially proud from the surrounding cowl. 

I learned later unbeknownst to me, (after sanding it smooth to the rest of the cowling) that the leading edge lip on the Fw-190 had in fact a big lip on the 1:1, and stuck out quite proud on the real deal as far as I know. Im not sure this applies to all 190s or just some, as Im not a 190 expert by any means. 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-674-7772-13A%2C_F

While the full-scale 190 has a distinctive 'step' in the cowling, the kit has the inner and outer rings molded such that there is a significant step that needs to be addressed. I didn't remove the step on mine completely, but brought it back into scale. As you say, nothing major, but typical 'limited run' kit molding.

There was variation in Yellow 04, as demonstrated in this photo...

42075300845_a9190839fb_h.jpg

Rob,

I was thinking the yellows might be a combination of factory-applied 04 (under cowl on Black 2) and field-applied 27 on other markings. May be a repaint on under cowl on a/c in the background as it covers more area and is the same lighter yellow. Variation in batches of paint always in the mix, so to speak. The masking tape stripes on the fuselage are interesting, too.

RLM colors always a fascinating subject.

Thanks for posting.

D.B.