Posted (edited)

So took advantage of some time in between conferences and hit the IWM website to find that Duxford was having a 'Photographer's Day' on Friday 15 June.  Not exactly cheap at 155 quid, but well worth it for the access you have to aircraft (crawling over the barrier lines in one of the museums, as well as the flight line) and having someone there to discuss settings and such. 

The classroom part is geared much more towards the novice (as more than a couple of attendees said - 'I've never been off 'auto' mode...) than the experienced photog, but the review was not onerous and the suggested settings to start with was helpful.

We seemed to hit a very special day, as even after class, just as I started to tour the American museum I heard two planes and a Spitfire and Hurricane were playing around in the sky.  VERY cool!  I did some quick shooting so the pics are not the great, but the viewing was AWESOME.

We'll see how many pics I can post ( I did shoot over 1400 in two days - trying out different settings ).  Questions are welcomed.

To see more than the pics posted here or for those of you who would prefer to see the directory itself - here is the ImageShack Link.

One of the guys from class and I went back to Duxford on Saturday.  Not nearly as much going on, but they did pull the Catalina out and watched it get prepped and ultimately take off.  VERY cool.

So the in-flight planes for the two days included a P-47, four Spitfires incl two two-seat Spits, a Hurricane, two Dragon Rapides, three Tiger Moths, a Jenny, Catalina several smaller Piper/Cessna aircraft, a small helicopter and a couple of stunt planes.

Not to mention all of the planes in the hangars.  To be honest, the flight line was so interesting I actually did very few hangars (1 and 2, barely got into the American hangar) but did tour the Historic Duxford exhibit (building) which was fascinating.

Sorry for all the gabbing - here are a few pictures.

UiglCI.jpg

The instructor hired a couple of models for our static shoot.

ox3tmf.jpg

Rides in a Spit could be had but were a little dear:  Around 2750 quid!!  I think it was this particular aircraft that did loops on photo day, but without a rear passenger.

e7eVJ4.jpg

A bit out of focus, but a quick snap after a quick lens change.  But you get the idea...

sHqugw.jpg

Yes, we were able to get VERY close...

l19OSp.jpg

tAjhpp.jpg

N0Bkj0.jpg

sFjgA4.jpgc5WTZZ.jpg

DCm0IP.jpg

if0yEO.jpgduUhCC.jpg

More in Imageshack so feel free to click the link above.  Definitely worth the money and the time!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Beautiful pics , really beautiful, and it brings back some very pleasant memories of Duxford in years gone by

thank you!

ColinR

Posted (edited)

Chris,

SUPER photographs.... I knew you were coming over and glad that you enjoyed your day ...

Thank you for lovely photos and sharing them.

:thumbsup:

Edit: the Dragon Rapide was the one that Harvey won the Ride in ... :)

Edited by MARU5137

Thanks for the nice comments all!

Dave:  No, was here last week for a few meetings and a conference at the XCel center, then had some meetings today in Slough, and Madrid this week.  Instead of doing back to back trips across the Atlantic, decided to hang out and find something to do over the weekend.  I spent a LOT of money at Duxford. :-)  Have my membership now to bank on for future trips. 

Look forward to your pics from Flying Legends.

Chris

Rides in a Spit could be had but were a little dear:  Around 2750 quid!! 

e7eVJ4.jpg

Only about $3600. So that's you in the back seat then ? ... right ?

:piliot: :whistle: ;)

Great stuff Chris! Duxford is such a magical place for us aviation enthusiasts. I could spend everyday there.

if you are a  Duxo-phile, this is an interesting site to follow:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?141202-Duxford-Diary-(2017)/page14&highlight=Duxford+Diary

It basically logs all the happenings/ins and outs etc. that occur there virtually every day.

(I think you can view the thread without being a member of the forum.)

I really hope I bump into you at the September show.

Richard, thanks for this the link - I'll definitely take a look.  And very much hoping to be over for the September event - will keep you posted.  I haven't seen 20% of Duxford having spent all of the time on the flight line and in the gift shop.  :piliot:

Chris

Thank you for posting the photos they are great, going to Duxford was one of my favourite trips, we stayed the weekend at Duxford Hall 5 minutes away from the museum and spent 2 days exploring the place and my wife even let me go for a spin in a Tiger Moth, what a great experience. Will have to return some day.

Cheers

Dennis

Posted (edited)

Canicoll,

These are the companies I use for events, some are great some are not so great, I have done a couple at Cosford with the Jags etc and have a steam event booked. but they can give you a heads up to some of those events you can do here

https://www.timelineevents.org/section.php/2/1/events/b99e5a2e0dfe8784f82c13e3b243051c

https://www.threshold.aero/events

These are the ones from the Cosford events

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/sets/72157686602380992

These from another at Spanhoe Lodge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/albums/72157691570683681

Edited by TonyT