Sign in to follow this  
1to1scale

The craziness of buying and selling your home, packing, moving, etc.

The past 60 days have been an incredible whirlwind of crap thrown at me...and I'm ready to settle down and move into a new house.

I am so exhausted. If you ever consider doing something like this.... don't. 

Here is short timeline of what happened.

April 12...I had knee surgery to repair damage done last December.

April 15...Wife has to travel to Nashville to corporate headquarters for the week, I am left to hobble around on my own. 

April 16...8:00am 4 days after knee surgery, I have to take my son to school this morning, stop at Starbucks drivethrough for coffee and breakfast, go home, take drugs, then zonk out for a while. 1:00 PM get call from my wife, corporate wants her to come to Nashville permanently. Offered us a FULL, generous, relocation package with a bonus that we could not refuse. Oh, by the way, many of the bonuses are based on moving within 90 days...oh crap! Start packing, sorting, throwing away things, hire contractors to fix up the house, do work around the house myself. Get rid of 10 years of accumulated stuff. Garbage men say. "WTF!" 

Oh Crap! Need to find a house to move to...

May 19... pack up car, family, 10 hour drive to Nashville.

May 20... Start looking at houses. Wife finds her dream house. 

May 21... Call Mortgage company

May 22... Make offer

May 23... Sellers cancel sale of home due to death in family. ARGHHHH!

May 24... Real estate agent talks them into continuing with sale and accepting our offer.

May 25... Finish paperwork

May 26... Drive 10 hours back home

May 27... Realized our house is not ready for sale yet, keep working on house, cleaning, moving things to storage

June 1...House still not ready, keep working.

June 7... House gets staged, pictures taken.

June 8... Listing goes live at 4:30 pm

By 9:00 pm we had 7 showings, floodgates opened, calls come in all night to show Sat.

June 9... 27 showings, whole family leaves and we rent a hotel room for the day

June 10... 29 more showings, yes, that 63 total.

June 11... All showing stopped, we have 32 offers. Top 3 offers considered, one chosen, for FAR above listing price.

June 13... Found out I have spinal scoliosis and will require surgery. 

June 15... MRI #1

June 16... MRI #2

June 17-25... Wife in Nashville again for training

July 1... Drive to Nashville again

July 2... Closing on new house in Nashville

July 3... Drive back to TX

July 9... Movers start packing our house, taking it all to Nasville.

July 20... Closing on home sale in TX 

We are moving our entire life, two elderly parents, 4 year old son, dog (who whines in cars after 2 minutes).

And before I go, I have to figure out what to do with my job, sell or move my project car, figure out what to do with all the chemicals in my garage, pack and organize the rest, arrange utility and services transfers, do change of addresses, cancel subscriptions and accounts, work 5 days a week, and figure out how to squeeze in a few doctors visits, etc, etc, etc.

This whole process has just been crazy, my modelling stuff has been packed in boxes and in storage for a while. Not much I can do. 

This whole process has just been crazy, my modelling stuff has been packed in boxes and in storage for a while. Not much I can do. 

Holy crap man, can you even sleep at all during this time? Hope it all goes as smoothly as can be for the remaining items on the check list of insanity, good luck with the move and what not. 

Mike so you did leave Ca!!!!!

I have so many friends leaving California their families been here Generations.

1 to 1 scale hope all goes well with your back and your knee fully recovers I don't envy you.

Mike so you did leave Ca!!!!!

I have so many friends leaving California their families been here Generations.

1 to 1 scale hope all goes well with your back and your knee fully recovers I don't envy you.

I left 12 years ago, never looked back. I was born and raised there..

Well, at least it's for a better opportunity. I hope things go well with your surgery!

I did something similar in 2013 - worked for months to prepare and fix up the house, thin my collection of crap, list the house, entertain offers - all to move cross-country to be with the girl I planned to marry. My market was crap - my house was the only one in my town that sold that summer, because I was willing to take below market to get out. For love.

Got a qualified buyer, accepted the offer, surprised my fiance with the news I was on my way... and she revealed she had been cheating on me for the last 4 months.

House was sold, stuff was in storage, no place to go. Complete change of gears, moved to Florida, built a new life here. Then the movers held my belongings hostage, but that's another tale...

Posted (edited)

Wow!!  You should consider hiring someone to help you out.  That's quite the task you're taking on.

A couple years back I was working on moving mom out of her place and into assisted living.  She's a hoarder, so I had my hands full.  Even still today I cannot throw away a magazine without her going ballistic on me. 

So...what's the project car??

Edited by ScottsGT

Posted (edited)

You make my life seem mellow by comparison. I think we might just stay where we are until we're dead.

And gwana, that is one of the most depressing situations I've heard of. Holy smokes.

Edited by BiggTim

Posted (edited)

I feel fer ya!!! LIfe, it's not a job, it's an adventure!  All good things in time. One foot in front of another. Take one day at a time.  The good Lord is with ya every step of the way!  Hang in there! Will be praying for ya!

Edited by Big Texan

I can't say i feel your pain, no one can that has real back problems. My wife has serious spinal issues resulting from a Kiari Malformation so I can appreciate what you are saying. We went through the move last year but we had to stage our old house and repaint quite a bit of the interior and lots of other work to get the old one ready for sale. Then move and do improvements on our new house. So add a couple more steps to the same process you described and we are about in the same place but it was all for a good cause and a good reason. We are in a better place for our family and it is over.

I though I had problems when our house caught fire 2 1/2 years ago. We had to move some of the salvageable stuff and put it in storage, then move the stuff we need for living into a temporary house we were renting. then that lease ended and we had to move again.  Finally move back into our semi completed house. That took two years.  There we ended up with about 300 boxes, all unlabeled because the storage company lost the master list of what is in each numbered box.

But that is nothing compared to your problems.

Hang in there!

:punk:

Wow!!  You should consider hiring someone to help you out.  That's quite the task you're taking on.

A couple years back I was working on moving mom out of her place and into assisted living.  She's a hoarder, so I had my hands full.  Even still today I cannot throw away a magazine without her going ballistic on me. 

So...what's the project car??

Its a Factory Five Racing MKIV Cobra Roadster, about 80% done, which means a whole lot of hassle to move a car with many, many, boxes of stuff. 

I really just had to vent, sleep is over rated.  :blink:

The move date is coming closer, still a lot left to do, have not even tackled the car yet. Im trying to see if anyone will buy it in its semi-completed form, if not, its coming with me. If my back recovers enough, i will start working on it again.