Straightening bent white metal landing gear

Thunda

This is really late to the game, but I just found this message buried in my junk e-mails, from Ross McMillan, owner of SAC:

"There were several negative comments regarding our replacement set for the 1/32 Revell Ju-88 (#32088). I would like to point out, of those who posted comments, none has ever contacted us with a complaint and/or to request a refund. If parts are bent during packaging the malleable nature of white metal allows them to be straightened without diminishing the strength of the metal. This also allows landing gear to be adjusted into proper caster/camber after the part has been attached to the model ... even after paint has been applied without damaging the finish. We have thousands of repeat customers who report complete satisfaction. In addition, we guarantee our sets with no cost replacement of any missing or warped parts that the customer cannot straighten to their satisfaction or complete refund if the customer prefers.

We have never had a complaint stating that our pewter landing has ever failed to support the weight of a kit in any scale. The following is a current report from a customer who used our 1/32 Ju-88 for a Mistel build nearly four years ago:

' I can find no issues with the main gear, it’s been more than a couple of years now and it’s standing the test of time quite good, I did encounter a quite noticeable camber angle on the left main at one point but that was due to the wheels cement letting go (probably during transit to a model show) and the wheel moving out and away on the axle putting the load right out near the end of the axle. That was fixed and the condition never recurred. ' "

So, has anyone contacted SAC if they have had any problems???

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

This is really late to the game, but I just found this message buried in my junk e-mails, from Ross McMillan, owner of SAC:

"There were several negative comments regarding our replacement set for the 1/32 Revell Ju-88 (#32088). I would like to point out, of those who posted comments, none has ever contacted us with a complaint and/or to request a refund. If parts are bent during packaging the malleable nature of white metal allows them to be straightened without diminishing the strength of the metal. This also allows landing gear to be adjusted into proper caster/camber after the part has been attached to the model ... even after paint has been applied without damaging the finish. We have thousands of repeat customers who report complete satisfaction. In addition, we guarantee our sets with no cost replacement of any missing or warped parts that the customer cannot straighten to their satisfaction or complete refund if the customer prefers.

We have never had a complaint stating that our pewter landing has ever failed to support the weight of a kit in any scale. The following is a current report from a customer who used our 1/32 Ju-88 for a Mistel build nearly four years ago:

' I can find no issues with the main gear, it’s been more than a couple of years now and it’s standing the test of time quite good, I did encounter a quite noticeable camber angle on the left main at one point but that was due to the wheels cement letting go (probably during transit to a model show) and the wheel moving out and away on the axle putting the load right out near the end of the axle. That was fixed and the condition never recurred. ' "

So, has anyone contacted SAC if they have had any problems???

I contacted SAC about my landing gear I used on the Tamiya F4u-1 Corsair, the landing gear had bent badly in shipping when I sold the finished plane, I found even on the bench they were susceptible to easily getting knocked out shape.  I emailed them and they said they would take the parts back and refund me but I just did not see the point.  Their quoted response is a bit disingenuous.  

I liked the design of their product, if they would cast it in brass and charge a few more bucks they would be home free.  I only use G-Factor if I am going to replace landing gear now.  I would also agree with those who above stated metal landing gear is not inherently necessary.  

Now from the laziness standpoint, metal landing gear in some cases combine and eliminate a few parts, sometimes I like that as I can move quickly to other things.  I used g-factor on a Tamiya Mustang and a Tamiya Corsair so far and have liked what I got out of their product.  Was it necessary, not sure, did I like the result, yes.  When the wheel strut offsets to keep the wheel in line with the vertical strut like on the Mustang and Corsair, I just feel a little happier that the metal might be stronger.  Where it makes a 90 degree angle on a short strut like the Tamiya Spitfire, I think I could agree that it might not be needed at all.  

I’ve had one model the plastic struts collapsed on.  Testors F-117 stealth.  Of course I had to correct the very badly warped/deformed fuselage top with bondo, to it was a little heavy.  

Used a set from the Trumpeter kit.  

That’s my Mistel he’s talking about.... still standing straight and true after at least 5 years, I used SAC gear on a 1/48 PBY (Canso water bomber) with a load of lead in it to keep it on its nose gear....(and yes) the plastic gear had failed and collapsed, 1saving grace was, it was the plastic main gear leg on the side away from the edge of the hobby bench that failed or the model would have fallen off the bench and been destroyed I’m sure, that one is around 6 years ago...also still sitting up on its gear.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Until about ten years ago, nobody had ever heard of metal gear legs, even for large models, and I don't recall ever seeing one collapse under its own weight.

Hasegawa put metal gear legs in many of their Hi-Grade kits going back nearly 30 years ago. In addition, their legacy F-18 Hornets all had metal gear as standard; there was no plastic option in the box. I also have a bunch of Aeroclub metal landing gear sets that must be over 25 years since they were first issued.

40 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I doubt any model needs Bronze legs! White metal is plenty strong enough, in my other hobby we have 1:19 Scale Railway rolling stock that actually 'moves' with wheel axleboxes holding wheel sets being pulled by a steam loco... 

Graham 

Giv Sac landing gear a try, then try g-factor.  G-factor landing gear are stronger than the kit.  You could just about stand on the plane and the plastic will fail before the landing gear. On the other hand vertical struts in white metal tend to be too soft, at least with the alloy SAC uses.  Maybe others designs would fare better.  

Railroad trucks may be more robust and a larger piece of metal that is not going to deform as easy as a lg strut in 1/32.  

Now it is also a legit point that maybe metal gear is not needed at all in many cases.  I personally think it has it's merits.  But I won't be using white metal unless I am certain of the product quality if I am going to invest time and many in metal gear, It needs to be stronger than conceivable necessary to outweigh the use of the kit parts.  It needs to be strong to the point that the plane will fail before the landing gear.  Otherwise if the landing gear will bend easily there is no reason to use it.  

In my reply to Ross I suggested going to a stiffer metal. Not just because of the gear legs, but because of the struts and braces that come with the gear. They are often so spindly they are impossible to clean as they noodle so badly. I do think the larger diameter gear, such as those for the Ju88 will work fine as there is enough of a section there they are quite strong.

I think, though, I am going to pick out one of the more spindly gear sets - like Spitfire or 109 - and do a long term load test. I will feel a lot more sure about it after that. 

My beef with SAC is that their parts are direct copies of the kit's original plastic parts, with no attempt made whatsoever to improve them (some SAC sets I've seen even retain the molding flaws of the kit part they were cast from). I bought a set for the Hasegawa Ki-44 and, just like the kit part, the tailwheel fork is 'filled in' and requires additional work to open it up.

The added strength of white metal for landing gear in our scale is debatable in any case, so why pay extra for something that isn't an improvement on the original kit parts?