Dragon/ Aims conversion Bf 110g 4 night fighter

chrish

Ah crap! 

That really stinks. I have no issues w/MM enamel, but hate, HATE, HATE MM acrylics!  I've actually never liked the way Tamiya acrylics sprayed either honestly. The only way I can get Tamiya acrylics to spray worth a crap, is to add retarder each and every time. What a PITA!  I gave up on acrylics completely until finding MRP.  Now that I've found MRP, for strength, durability and ultimate ease of spraying, I don't shoot anything else.

Heres to continued progress and a fix for the re-spray! 

thank you for the support guys, I came close to what my fellow club members call "Chris's happy dance".Where the whole project goes under the size 12 Reebok and gets recycled...I managed to keep my poop in a group this time and didn't listen to the voices in my head. I heard those voices but, didn't listen.

Shawn, I've never had any problem with Tamiya or Vallejo coming off with the Tamiya tape...MM yes, and I knew better than to use it, crappy paint but my fault for thinking I could get away with it (my garbage can now has 30 bottles of MM acrylic pain in it!) Testors has lost a customer and through my rants here, and at my club meeting and newsletter, any other people I can turn away from their paint. On the bright side...getting down off my soap box, paint work should push ahead with the re squiggle of the wings in RLM 75 tonight...maybe?  

That's.a real pain Chris but well done for keeping your focus. I've always used Tamiya acrylic over halfords grey car primer and laterly Tamiya primer and never had an issue. Did you lay an undercut down first or just go straight on with the RLM 76?

Regards.Andy 

O Chris so sorry - it was going so well. I see you are using the mid production nose cowl - please note this was for the older 4x MG 17s or 2x Mg 151s only - not see with MK 108s. The nose bottom you have used is also only for the MK 108s, sorry if you already knew all this or have mentioned it - I tried to give drawings of all the set-ups in the instructions but maybe I was not clear enough?

Thanks for the support gentlemen, It’s really appreciated!

i follow the rule that if your gonna screw up, do an epic screw up and show everybody... that way we all learn something? Except me of course or there wouldn’t be epic screw ups.

probably won’t be much happening in the hobby room tonight as the little trick n treaters are ringing the doorbell every ten minutes or so, tough to concentrate 

That's really tough Chris, you can do without those sort of disasters on a fairly complex build like this.  I'm another fan of MRP paints, I've been using them for several years now and never had any issues whatsoever, and they spray beautifully every time and dry in minutes. Whatever you use, keep going with your build though, it's too good to bin. 

5 hours ago, mozart said:

That's really tough Chris, you can do without those sort of disasters on a fairly complex build like this.  I'm another fan of MRP paints, I've been using them for several years now and never had any issues whatsoever, and they spray beautifully every time and dry in minutes. Whatever you use, keep going with your build though, it's too good to bin. 

Another reason to love MRP, is because the carrier is lacquer I seem to be able to get a good solid bite into bare plastic without any need for primer. I have not tried that with full resin yet, and probably wont, but if you  ever have  chance to try MRP it seems to go along way to helping avoid the dreaded paint lift off syndrome. 

Looking forward to the fix, which I know will happen!  

I'm back in the hobby room, upper wing halves stripped clean and repainted...Good old Tamiya paint pulled through and did the job once again. I masked and painted the upper wing markings and feeling creative, I used a method previously proven to paint the shark mouth on another kit I ruined the decals on early in the build...but we wont go into that here. I marked out the shape I needed on note paper, cut it out, placed it on the model, wet it down with a eye dropper and paintbrush till it lay flat and snug on the model and shot my paint over it. Basically a wet paper mask.

u4GGIos.jpg

ChwlPit.jpg

yMQEokt.jpg

tMvouSY.jpg

ndyMWgZ.jpg

So, I can laugh... though carefully, at the MM paint still in place on the fuselage. I'll use the same method for the fuselage ID lettering and under wing markings, the rest will be decals. But happily, this way, I get the satisfaction of my painted on markings.