Revell He-162

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Reading thru WIP I see there's a push from admin on resurrecting half finished 162 models. I've got one somewhere with a few bits cut from the sprue and the sight of all those lovely half built kits has got me drooling. It's a dirt cheap kit in Europe, I think mine was bought a few years ago at well under £20.

So is anyone else in the same boat? A half finished 162 languishing in a box in a dark corner somewhere? Maybe it could be the summer of the Salamander?

Got some resin and etch bits for it somewhere, got the paint, it won't take long to design and cut some masks.

So a “well done†to the team for stirring up another modelling project. Watch this space!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Im looking around for one about that price. I know they are around and can be had for $40 or more USD, but I'm looking for a really cheap second hand model to do a V-tail He-162D with forward swept wings. 

IIRC, the He-162 was the first kit from RoG with attention paid to shape, outline, geometry, and having the decent cockpit, U/c bays, and nicely done decals. Thin clear parts as well, were well rendered.

Nice kit, and I always think of Eric Browns comment mid-flight: "The engine is held on with 4 F#*king bolts?"

Hi Guys,

Re: the comment on four F***ing bolts.

Most jet engines are like that. Sometimes it's three.  Same goes for piston engines like the Merlin and the DB and Junkers.  On the old C-130 the engine was supplied as a pod, complete with fairings, panels and propeller and the whole lot was held to the wing with four bolts.  Admittedly they weren't your average DIY shop bolts as they were rolled thread high tensile steel and bloody huge.  I can still remember swinging on a 3 foot torque loading spanner, with a three foot extension to get the leverage, at 3am in the morning in one of the hangers at RAF Lyneham.  Lots of cursing and swearing, lots of fun and laughs!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Allegedly the new owners of Revell are going to do a push whereby they release kits for every single mold they have, over a 2-3 year period of time (roughly) starting this fall.

If true, it could be a great opportunity to get the Revell kit that got away.

At one time I had the Revell "special edition" 162, but sold it off long ago.

Whenever we do a kit database push, Kev routinely seeks updated information on the status of those WiP projects relevant to that kit, so it happens all the time, as we routinely try to continue with those kit updates, striving to constantly upgrade the utility of the database. 

Saw all the posts on the 162.

Will have mine finished by this weekend & will post in the RFI section.

Just have the canopy to mount & some minor weathering to finish.

Nice kit !

I also have one of the Hi Grade 162's in the stash; MPMs offering witch includes Revell plastic, CMK resin engine, wheel wells & cockpit, photo etch & different decals.

Getting back to Bruce's original question. 

I'm ready to jump back into two He 162's I have started and well underway.  The Valliant book Kev just wrote a really nice review on is also a really nice little reference booklet.   The new information regarding the late produced Heinkel variants with a splinter camouflage in late war RLM colors would be so awesome to see on this little Revell kit.... I don't know why but I've always liked this aircraft.  I think I have at least 5 of these kits. 

The line up of all those serviceable Heinkel's at the end of the war at Leck airfield and somehow they weren't all blow up is a miracle in itself.  Every aircraft is different in appearance to the next aircraft in the line up.  Can you only Imagine if there were a line up of Ta -152 like that some where at the end of the war?  

Count me in Bruce. 

Troy    

Hi Bruce,

Finished my 1st edition about a year ago with nothing extra than seat belts as I felt if I started adding all the extras on the market I'd never complete it!

Awesome little kit and a joy to build- best advice is don't worry too much about adding more detail as I doubt you'll ever see it & have fun instead.

You should find my build in completed (Red 1).

Peter

I stopped working on mine due to an extended period away from home for work.  I had done a lot of extra detail work using Brass, Resin and scratch building, but stopped short.  By the time I could get back to the table, some other kit caught my eye and I shelved the 162.  Might have to make the push to finish her.  

Nice thread. I have two of the kits, one with all the AM. Other kits I have already started are my focus right now and the foreseeable future. Send me a PM if you are interested in my second kit with out all the aftermarket. I have given up on the V-tail. Only one has a chance of being built in my lifetime.

Rick

Allegedly the new owners of Revell are going to do a push whereby they release kits for every single mold they have, over a 2-3 year period of time (roughly) starting this fall.

If true, it could be a great opportunity to get the Revell kit that got away.

Sure hope that's true.  Could use another 20 or so Ju 88A-4s.