Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 JG 300 Wilde Sau...*Completed*

BradG

Now onto the yellow. I masked up and painted the number 7, maybe a touch too thick but it'll do.

HviD0Pp.jpg?1

I also thought while at it, why not try to paint the national insignia. Not too shabby, still need to do the other side of the fuselage and put the black in the middle. These will look better than decals when painted over with thin black I think.

GakT3YM.jpg

23IfVr1.jpg

1 hour ago, AceofClubs said:

Hi Brad, nice work! But IMHO the Yellow seven is a little oversized.

Ciao

Filippo

Yeh it is slightly, 6mm it probably should be 4mm, but I'm not going back to repaint it.

Hi Brad, IMHO you can even in time to correct in this way:

1. overspray the dark base on seven 7 and on Balkenkreuz as seen in the picture;

2. repositioning the stencil ad spray the correct 7 and kreuz;

3. repeat the n. 1 operation to simulate the darkening operation.

Ciao

Filippo

Right-o lots of smaller bits now added; prop, radiator flaps, rudder and antenna mast are on. I still have a few things to paint and some touch ups here and there. The canopy needs the handle painted and attached, drop tank needs black before being glued on too. I tend to try and rush through at this point so I'll be trying not to, just paint things and let them dry before continuing!

n4B3bf7.jpg

14 minutes ago, AceofClubs said:

Hi Brad, IMHO you can even in time to correct in this way:

1. overspray the dark base on seven 7 and on Balkenkreuz as seen in the picture;

2. repositioning the stencil ad spray the correct 7 and kreuz;

3. repeat the n. 1 operation to simulate the darkening operation.

Ciao

Filippo

I was thinking of just masking up and taking 2mm off the top and side. I was just playing around in paint seeing how I might do it, does this look better?

The cross the right size, I took those dimensions straight off the decals.

HFKdO04.jpg

Edited by BradG

8 hours ago, AceofClubs said:

Hi BradG, your solution could be an alternative but in my experience I found that a partial overspray is never flush but it always leaves a little but visible step.

Ciao

Filippo  

A bit of sandpaper will fix that.

Painting continues. I took 2mm from the width of the number which does make it look better. I've added int he black for the insignia and put some black on the rudder, wing markings and drop tank. When doing this I've had to remind myself not to give an even solid coat which it is tempting to do as you airbrush, but I highly doubt it was a uniform finish, likely the black was applied in the field with the gear down and no masking, so that's what I will do too. There is a swastika decal on the tail, you just can't see it well as I don't have great lighting to take pictures in.

nWemntV.jpg

IMEbj3x.jpg

1 hour ago, mozart said:

That "7" looks a lot better Brad, well worth doing. Personally I never use black at all, it's just too dark and intense. A "scale black" is NATO black which has a touch of blue in it.

Thanks. Yeh I've read a lot about scale colour, I don't think it's a thing. If it was, taking things to the logical conclusion you'd be painting anything smaller than 1/72 overall white.