Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 JG 300 Wilde Sau...*Completed*

BradG

1 hour ago, AceofClubs said:

BradG, 7 Yellow is ok, but darkening process on wing Balkenkreuz is, imho, a litte too dark. Try to add some little over spray from base colours.

Nice work, Ciao.

Filippo

Nah, I don't really like this idea of making all the colours blend together. I'm aiming for realism, not artistic representations. I put myself in the shoes of Hans, out there on some airfield with an air gun loaded up, what would he do? He'd just squirt a couple of rounds of paint over the markings and call it done. I realise this approach won't win me many points in an IPMS contest, where you need immaculate weathering and every piece of dirt in exactly the right place, but real life is far from exact.

2 hours ago, BradG said:

Thanks. Yeh I've read a lot about scale colour, I don't think it's a thing. If it was, taking things to the logical conclusion you'd be painting anything smaller than 1/72 overall white.

Sorry Brad but you're wrong, it's the same as the artist's principle of aerial perspective where when looking at a range of mountains for instance, they get lighter in tone the further away they are. Each to his own though! :) 

39 minutes ago, mozart said:

Sorry Brad but you're wrong, it's the same as the artist's principle of aerial perspective where when looking at a range of mountains for instance, they get lighter in tone the further away they are. Each to his own though! :) 

Even if I thought scale colour was a real thing, what would be the point of doing it on a model when you're trying to replicate the real thing?  In pictures, we often try to photograph the aircraft so that it looks like the 1:1 object, if you have put "scale colour" on it, you're defeating the purpose of doing that. As I said though, I think it's just another fad that many modellers get into and as I said, I'm trying to make a miniature replica of the real thing, not an artistic representation. 

Alright, getting pretty close to finished now. Blackout on the markings is done, with nice results.

MWdACrh.jpg

Under surface is blacked out too. It's done roughly, I've avoided areas where someone might, the ejector ports on the gun packs, around the drop tank attachments and air intakes.

o9oGc0d.jpg

Grrrr I thought the tail wheel looked too weak. Came back today to find the tail wheel had failed. It just didn't look strong enough when putting it together and the kit is pretty heavy. I don't like how much the main gear flexes when you put the full weight on it either. I would suggest buying the brass undercarriage or at least drilling the tail wheel and inserting a pin, which I've just had to do....frustrating.

The G10 I built a couple of years back was in a clear storage container. A couple of months ago I wanted to get another built model out of the container and found the G10 flat on it's belly, the main landing gear had colapsed under it's  own weight but the tail wheel had broken well before that. Definitely the weakest part of the kit.

Cheers Bevan 

1 hour ago, Scale32 said:

The G10 I built a couple of years back was in a clear storage container. A couple of months ago I wanted to get another built model out of the container and found the G10 flat on it's belly, the main landing gear had colapsed under it's  own weight but the tail wheel had broken well before that. Definitely the weakest part of the kit.

Cheers Bevan 

Yeh I'd been thinking about that as I have a glass cabinet and with little friction for the wheels the legs are under a lot of stress. I might sit mine on some cardboard or something similar until a base can be made. Something that gives the wheels a little grip that will hopefully take the lateral stress off the weak points.