Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 JG 300 Wilde Sau...*Completed*

BradG

Still more filling and sanding. I think I've fixed the upper wings, still need to work on the wing to fuselage joint but there is a bit of a join line on the lower surface where the two lower wing halves fit together. That's got super glue on it, just awaiting it to dry.

QxVGA2x.jpg?1

Wing control surfaces are drying. I really hate that Revell keep trying to make all the control surfaces movable. It's a gimmik, please Revell, 7 year old kits don't spend 65 dollars on your model, they buy a diecast kit for 10 bucks.

SBchfsC.jpg?1

I've tackled the wing roots, deciding to fill them in and rescribe. As you can see the flaps and ailerons are on. Now here we see another of Revell's strange decisions. They give you two part control surfaces, that are separate from the main wing, but then mold the actuators in the 'up' position...so why give separate parts? Anyways they are glued in and the flaps are made to be down, they click in without glue so all well there.

G3EfKd8.jpg

Tail fits nicely. Again the gimmicky moveable control surfaces rises it's head here. I just modified the tabs to take the control surfaces after they were glued together. I might actually have them deflected since I've gone to the trouble of persevering those movable parts. However, if you use the tall tail, you cannot defect the rudder as the actuator arm is molded to have the rudder straight. Another annoying thing here is there is no leather boot to the tail wheel strut.

9CDgVl2.jpg

Working on the cockpit sill now. It's a bit of a pain to smooth and get straight, the section forward is left because that is covered by the windscreen and the rear covered by the back piece.  If you were doing the kit with the frameless canopy, you'd also need to fill the back join line in to make things accurate. This is another of those "WTF Revell" moments in this kit, making it harder for the modeller. I also cut off the two tabs that were meant to attach the canopy in the open position. They look ridiculous and were clearly just plonked there because someone at Revell thought it would be easier for the modeller to position the canopy open with them. So you do that but then give a difficult join line to fill. Come on Revell, think harder....

qoysec5.jpg

All the smaller parts are on, I've painted the gear and the wells RLM 02 and while at it, did a spray around the joints looking for faults. Thankfully nothing bad stands out, only the usual touch ups here and there with some super glue and sandpaper required. 

zpLSYmS.jpg

Trouble shooting the joins is complete, the cockpit is all nicely painted again and as I go to paint the blue I remember I forgot one important thing; the 20mm MG 151 cannon pods. This is another WTF moment from Revell, as they have gone to the effort to mold both early and late G-6 parts in this kit, allowing you to also make a G-14, but then fail to give you any anti-bomber armament. Fortunately I have built and have a few Hasegawa kits in the stash and almost all their G/K line come with cannon pods that with a swipe of sandpaper, fit nicely.

lOUWRHH.jpg

Looking great all right, nice to see someone build one that defeated me! the strange breakdown, gimmicky parts, the two part wing I got through...the landing gear finished me off, be warned. also the Spitfire has the same landing gear breakdown (square S joint at the narrowest point, the oleo)

But, enjoying your work now. 

13 hours ago, Shawn M said:

its always surprised me that the shell chutes on the wing gondolas discharge inwards

Haha yeh I had to double check that one before I committed glue.