Aus Model Expo Pics

Guest Maxim

Guest Maxim

Was a great LSP turn out. Scratched my head at some of the judging but nonetheless a very high standard all round

Do you recall who won what?

Was a great LSP turn out. Scratched my head at some of the judging but nonetheless a very high standard all round

My judging decision just happens to be the center of one major discussion over on another site. Suffice to say that I won't embarrass the modeller by publicly stating why his model did not place, but I can say that no one has speculated correctly.

Guest Maxim

My judging decision just happens to be the center of one major discussion over on another site. Suffice to say that I won't embarrass the modeller by publicly stating why his model did not place, but I can say that no one has speculated correctly.

The judges decision is always final. It is what it is. If they don't like it become a judge and take part.

The judges decision is always final. It is what it is. If they don't like it become a judge and take part.

Agreed. Over the years I've encountered many, many folks that dismiss the judges as incompetents or fools, and almost without exception, these comments originate (not altogether unsurprisingly) from folks that have never judged a contest in their life.

I recall advising Shawn that he should take a stab at judging, as he'd then learn firsthand what the judges actually look for, vs what some folks think they look for. I think the experience has helped him dramatically too.

I have judged plenty, club and state level and whoever judged LSP jets dropped the ball. First and second places were right on, third maby right.The hornets got commended's when both had noticable issues. My Phantom got nix, nada.

I will normally take results as they come and not complain but have to say I was dudded

I've seen a couple of boo boos over the years, but honest mistakes, and not too many of them. One year there were two 1:48 Me 262's entered in the same category. The two 262's placed first and third. Someone mixed up the paperwork and the third place Me 262 won first place, and vice versa. This was sorted after the fact, but made for a very unhappy first place winner.

I have judged plenty, club and state level and whoever judged LSP jets dropped the ball. First and second places were right on, third maby right.The hornets got commended's when both had noticable issues. My Phantom got nix, nada.

I will normally take results as they come and not complain but have to say I was dudded

From what I've learned recently, is that often, the judges are volunteers.  And as such might not exactly be "perfect" judges.  As we in the hobby grow older, many of those people who ran these or judged these comps are now retiring from it.  And then there are those who are just tired of doing it.

Last year was the first year I sat at the door take in the fee and issue tickets for half an hour at our local 'big' annual show.  It's hard to get enough volunteers to be judges, sit at the door, and all of the other tasks that these meetings require.  The keen ones do a couple different duties, while the masses do none.

It's easy to fault the judges...   But even if they do miss things or judge on their own criteria...  it's not like they're getting paid.

Gaz

One of the LSP Jets judges was among the most experienced of the judging pool. If you didn't place or get commended I'm sure there was a good reason why. If you'd have asked the Chief Judge nicely, I'm sure he could have found out what that issue was. Keep in mind it was a pretty close category too, a minor error or oversight could have been enough to knock you out. Anyways, for what it's worth, I liked your Phantom.

Edited by BradG

Guest Maxim

I thought your F-4 was really nice! I would have like to take closer pics but with I phone I didn't want the risk of dropping it onto something. What placed where in 32 scale jets?

Guest Maxim

One of the LSP Jets judges was among the most experienced of the judging pool. If you didn't place or get commended I'm sure there was a good reason why. If you'd have asked the Chief Judge nicely, I'm sure he could have found out what that issue was. Keep in mind it was a pretty close category too, a minor error or oversight could have been enough to knock you out. Anyways, for what it's worth, I liked your Phantom.

Brad, I'd be happy to be a judge next year if they want volunteers?

Edited by Maxim

Brad, I'd be happy to be a judge next year if they want volunteers?

Cool. All you have to do is hang around after 5pm on the Saturday and attend the judges briefing. If you are inexperienced in judging, you will be paired with an experienced judge. Also, Model Expo puts on free pizza and soft drink for dinner.

Guest Maxim

What about the props? That P-40N get a look in?

I never had a close look at the Chippie Ho FA-18 as I'm not fond FA-18's.

Edited by Maxim