B-17G Tanker E15 Butler Aviation Co. N5237V.

Radders

Hi guys,

I'll post some photos soon, but keeping you guys updated.

The 'batplane' will be done with a B-17F kit, so this is going to be N66571 a 'G' with the right tail.. but lots of differences and mods needed to the kit, I have cut away all the bits I need to, and now working on getting it up to standard. Wings made up, and engines progressing.. just waiting for some etch to arrive from Hannants for the engines also. 

Really enjoying doing this... as I haven't been doing any modelling what-so-ever in the last few months... been busy with work and weekends learning to skydive, recently passing my AFF too, so just a few more solos and then I'm an A license holder. I should be able to pick up a bit more modelling then once that's sorted....

Here's a photo from Airliners of the one I'm building.. you can see it's quite modded from the old USAAF days, it was with Kenting Aviation Ltd before being converted to a tanker and used as a Photographic Survey aircraft.

1489569.jpg?v=v40

• 10 months later...

Update time... having time off being stuck in the house has it's perks... 

Fuselage mods almost done now, then it can all start being glued together and details added back where it's been lost, and then fit up the tank i've made also (no pics as It's buried in a box somewhere still...) 

Also, now going to be Tanker 15 that operated with Butler Aviation Co. as N5237V.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Bit more done (covered over the rear turret and rounded off), and i've put coat of primer over the top of all the modified areas to find any defects.. there are a few but thankfully minor, so they will be sorted tonight. 

Too big to photo anywhere else, so on the rug it is..... :rolleyes:

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi guys... another lockdown in the UK means I'm back on furlough and at home, which also means a bit more free time to do some modelling. 

Not much more of an update, but it's an update... decided to go for a bullet nose tanker, still the same tanker just at a later date. 

Furelage is now glued together with rear turret fairing on but smoothed over, nose on... what a job that was... but now with the new bullet nose, more blending in now the shapes been made. Then hopefully soon, a final coat of primer and lots of re-scribing/riveting! 

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

and how it should look... 

2%2007%20B-17G-95-DL%20N5237V%2044-83868

Thanks guys, now I've done a bit more on the nose and to see where I'm at, thrown some primer over it all. Happy with most, but obviously the nose is still needing attention. Big gap to fill round it, and some profiling still to be done. Then onto the re-scribing... Actually looking forward to that given it's size. 

Few more photos for your pleasure. 

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg