WnW SE.5a Nightfighter D3459 61 HD Sqd 1918

monthebiff

So after lots of careful dry fitting I managed to fit the lower wing, this is a super, super tight fit but got there in the end.

20180811_145542.jpg

Have a few large gaps in the lower joint but nothing to difficult to deal with but happily no step between the fuselage halves.

20180811_145632.jpg

Also added the upper cockpit surround which is any equily tight fit and as you can see, not a lot of the cockpit can be seen buy for me it was still worth the extra detail work.

20180811_145602.jpg

Some clean up and a liittle filler needed but happy so far.

Regards. Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Wingnut Wings seems to have dropped the ball and missed the rib tapes from the tail fin and rudderon this this release so I decided to have a go and add them from Tamiya masking tape and archer resin rivets.

20180903_204947.jpg

and after a coat of Tamiya primer.

20180904_161750.jpg

Pretty happy with how it has turned out, I need to glue down a few edges that have lifted when the paint went down but otherwise pretty good. Next up Iadded the Cabbane struts and once in place I fitted the upper wing while the glue was drying to make sure everything stayed true.

20180904_161627.jpg

20180904_161718.jpg

Pretty well there now on construction now and getting ready to add some colour now.

Regards. Andy

4 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Great work Andy - am just about to bite the WingNut bullet - and this is encouraging me!  :)

Iain

Thanks for looking in Iain, this is my third Wingnut build and really enjoy them. You certainly won't be disappointed.

Regards. Andy 

10 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

I have a post-war Snipe lined up - after the Spit I'm working on.

Will be my first WNW kit - so threads like this are a big inspiration!

Iain

Somehow I have ended up with about 10 or 12 in the stash now Iain. They are very addictive that's for sure !

Regards Andy 

20 hours ago, Dukie99 said:

Great work, I cannot wait to see some colors on this one. I like your use of archer rivets, I find them very useful to add details in lots of my project. The require the patience of a monk but they look good under a coat of paint.

Cheers,

David

Thank you David, I really like using the Archer rivets on my builds, they also make some great sheets of fixings and fasteners that come in handy also.. A little more masking to do and then I can start getting some colour on. I am very interested to see how the Pheon decals behave.

Regards. Andy

19 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Some great work, Andy.  Nice added detail on the tail!

Gaz

Thanks for looking in Gaz, someone does do a resin replacement for the tail and rudder but I figured I would have a go myself and resonably happy with the outcome so far.

Regards. Andy

On 9/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, Iain (32SIG) said:

Great work Andy - am just about to bite the WingNut bullet - and this is encouraging me!  :)

Iain

Agree - great work. 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:21 PM, monthebiff said:

Thanks for looking in Iain, this is my third Wingnut build and really enjoy them. You certainly won't be disappointed.

Regards. Andy 

I'm somewhat surprised you've not got around to a Wingnut yet Iain, but I'll confirm what Andy said, you are sure to enjoy it.  I have the postwar Snipe in the stash, with some Pheon decals, but I've also got an SE.5a and this thread is pushing it up the priority list. 

On 9/7/2018 at 6:45 PM, mozart said:

Andy....."King of the Archer Rivets" strikes again! Super work as usual.

Now you know I can't resist an Archer rivet Max!! Keeping the other PCM Hurricane I have in the stash to have another go.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I've now managed to complete the airframe in readyness for some colour to go on. First up was to complete the inspection hatches on the wings by painting the interiors followedby adding the glazing and adding the missing rivet detail with archer resin decals.

20180918_191802.jpg

20180918_202051.jpg

Also after checking many pictures I noticed that a lot of Se5's had there cabanne struts stregthened with fabric, I decided to replicate this with come thin masking tape with the ends fixed down with cyno to stop them lifting.

20180919_132205.jpg

20180919_132132.jpg

All masked and ready for painting which I can hopefully do over the weekend in readyness for the Pheon decal set.

Regards. Andy