LSP_K2

Viewing the Cosmos

It's easier than you might think!  A good camera helps of course, but you don't have to go crazy.  Good glass (as with any telescope as well) is a must though.  That's not the place to skimp.  But none of my shots were tracked or anything.  Just straight out of the camera, 10-13 second exposures typically, and a bit of post processing in Lightroom &/or Photoshop to play with color and curves.  Happy to assist if you have any questions.  Full disclosure - it's rather addictive!  ;)

Bri~

15 minutes ago, Uilleann said:

It's easier than you might think!  A good camera helps of course, but you don't have to go crazy.  Good glass (as with any telescope as well) is a must though.  That's not the place to skimp.  But none of my shots were tracked or anything.  Just straight out of the camera, 10-13 second exposures typically, and a bit of post processing in Lightroom &/or Photoshop to play with color and curves.  Happy to assist if you have any questions.  Full disclosure - it's rather addictive!  ;)

Bri~

This entire hobby is rather addictive. One of the fellas on the astronomy forum is sending me a 6x30 targeting finder, that theoretically will slide right into the dovetail slot of my Meade, and that should be a big time help to me, replacing the silly red dot finder.

I like both, and find there are strengths and weaknesses in either design.  The coolest ones now use the little laser pointers and eliminate the need to even sight down the tube at all.  Just point the dot to the spot in the sky you want to observe and boom, you're there!  Not quite so helpful if you're trying to pinpoint something just beyond naked eye visual range of course, but could get you very close...then the 6x30 could get you spot on.

Now this is just too nifty, a fella on the astronomy forum that I recently joined, decided to send me some cool freebies for my new hobby. First up, a new 1.25" diagonal. He says this is a prism, but I thought it was a mirror, as both types of diagonal are made.

cTXjkc.jpg

And this great item, a 50mm finder scope, with targeting crosshairs integral to the unit, roughly 8 times magnification. A nice upgrade from the standard default red dot finder that was included with the Meade, and slides right into the dovetail on my Meade. I intend to repaint this, either gloss black or metallic blue and black.

lGQbqD.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, a Nextbook tablet, in amazingly good condition, primarily for running Sky Safari on, but useful for other stuff too.

r6prR0.jpg

2 hours ago, Uilleann said:

That's a haul to be proud of, and no mistake!  Clear skies!  :)

No doubt. I've already installed the Sky Safari app, and it's just too cool.

On 6/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, Tnarg said:

You can spend much more than your model budget for a single eyepiece.... but they are fun.

Tnarg

This is so very true, Grant. I'm currently drooling over a Meade 5000 series MWA eyepiece, and to my thinking, it is a bit expensive, but will be worth every dime of it. The obvious advantage for me, is the 100° apparent field of view, plus the fact that it'll bump my 'scope up to 120X magnification all by itself, and greater if combined with a Barlow, but with a natural (and unfortunate) corresponding reduction in the field of view. Still pretty awesome though, and I certainly intend to eventually grab one. The eye relief on this particular piece, is pretty good too, at 13mm.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:40 AM, Mark_C said:

I entirely understand.  The Dobs can be unwieldy to use, apart from anything else.  I only commented because I saw you post about wanting an 8" but finding the price too high. 

Actually, I'm eyeballing (fantasizing, really) an 8" Meade "go-to" refractor, for $1800.

Well, another little addition to the family, a Meade 4000 series Super Plössl 20mm eyepiece. Shorter focal length, greater magnification, but still maintaining a high degree of clarity.

Dtj58O.jpg

My latest addition, this time a 4000 series 9.7mm eyepiece. (Despite supposedly being parfocal with the other eyepieces in the series, it's not, but still provides excellent clarity and razor sharp focus.) This eyepiece, combined with a 3x Barlow, gives my little Meade a 183X magnification, though a 2X and 122X magnification, is far more practical.

wjkGOT.jpg

Good thread

Always liked Astronomy, used to own a cheapish generic 6" reflector bought from Ebay, was gobsmaked when I first used it at the moon to see so much detail, it felt like you could almost reach out and touch it, hard work manually tracking it though :)

Light pollution aint to bad where I live and I've been thinking about getting a next step up 8" go to scope for a few years now, gave my scope to my sister a couple of years ago to spur me on, but obviously have not bit the bullet yet, Celestron Go To's are not recommended here I see, their 8" Nextsar 8SE was the one I had in mind, will start looking at other options now the dark nights are drawing in again, hopefully this time I will get my Go To scope and enjoy the night skys once more.

Treat yourself, Kevin, we only live once and you obviously enjoy the hobby.

The other consideration I have is a large mirror size Dobsonian scope, large mirror size and quite cheaper too, but gets bulky, cumbersome and much less portable and it would be back to manual tracking ... though I think you can get "go to" computerised ones?

But affordable 12" mirror size or larger, just imagine what you could see with that on a fine clear night.

We have a good Astronomy club here in NE Scotland that own a bothy in the middle of nowhere, not to far from here with about as low light pollution as it gets, have looked into joining their club a few times, perhaps now is the time in life to do it.

http://www.sigma-astro.co.uk/