LSP_K2

Viewing the Cosmos

1 hour ago, Tnarg said:

Can you tell us anything about the way you took the Goblin Valley photo? Beautiful.

Tnarg

The general basics are thus:

Taken roughly 2 am on April 15th this year.  Canon 5D MkIII, with a Sigma 24 mm, f/1.4 Art Prime.  8 exposures stacked for foreground noise reduction, and 5 for the sky.  I don't recall the EXIF data off hand, but believe it was something like 10 second exposures, ISO about 4,000, and I tend to shoot about f/3.5 for astro to try and minimize chromatic aberration, vignetting, and sagittal astigmatism in the corners.  Rocks auto stacked using PS median blend, while I did the sky by hand to adjust for slight lens distortion and sidereal rotation between shots.

Mostly it's a lot of sitting in the quiet, dark, staring at the sky in awe, while the shutter clicks away for a while.  Then it's a bit of work in post processing to get everything aligned, composited, and adjusted for the final image.  Most astro photographers...or perhaps I should say "digital photo artists" who shoot the Milky Way get the color and contrast completely wrong.  My goal has always been to try and preserve as much of the true color and feel as possible.  No blue/green/purple silly technicolor.  ;)

B~

Edited by Uilleann

That's way cool, Brian. As of a couple of months ago, I could clearly make out the Teapot in the evening, but it's so close to the horizon for me that light pollution messes up really good viewing. Astrophotography is way down the line for me, if ever, but for the moment I'm really getting a big kick out of just locating different constellations, asterisms, and whatnot. I viewed the Andromeda galaxy a few nights ago, but my little 4" scope just couldn't resolve it enough to be really cool, though the fact that I could see it at all was rather amazing to me.

EKevin....

AWESOME !!!

I wish I had that just for tonight.

:whistle:

last night I watched the full Moon from the bedroom window.It looked SO huge but was the most AMAZING sight to behold..

:wub:

Tonight I get the chance to see the LONGEST BLOOD MOON in 21st Century...

It will LAST FOR 1 HOUR AND 43 MINUTES..   :yahoo:

unfortunately  those in USA and Canada miss out (see map in link article).

Lunar eclipse: Skygazers await century's longest 'blood moon' - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44945452

Edited by MARU5137
Typo.

Sorry I will miss this one. My wife's cousins in Denmark planned a party on the beach to watch the moon. Hope all of you who can see it had fun. I'd need X-ray vision to see it through the earth from California... now there's a cool thought.

Tnarg

3 hours ago, Tnarg said:

Sorry I will miss this one. My wife's cousins in Denmark planned a party on the beach to watch the moon. Hope all of you who can see it had fun. I'd need X-ray vision to see it through the earth from California... now there's a cool thought.

Tnarg

Not to worry.  There's a total lunar eclipse visible in California on January 20, 2019.  Santa Rosa will definitely see it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2019-january-21#

12 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

EKevin....

AWESOME !!!

I wish I had that just for tonight.

:whistle:

last night I watched the full Moon from the bedroom window.It looked SO huge but was the most AMAZING sight to behold..

:wub:

Tonight I get the chance to see the LONGEST BLOOD MOON in 21st Century...

It will LAST FOR 1 HOUR AND 43 MINUTES..   :yahoo:

unfortunately  those in USA and Canada miss out (see map in link article).

Lunar eclipse: Skygazers await century's longest 'blood moon' - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44945452

Yep, I certainly won't see that here. As it turns out, viewing the Moon is always best during the crescent phases (waxing or waning), as the objects along the terminator, craters, ridges and whatnot, are much more detailed, given the excellent shadows that are cast then.

Last night (actually this morning around 4:00 AM, I was finally able to see Pleiades (the seven sisters) for the first time this year, with my telescope and new eyepiece, and I have to say, it was truly magnificent,... just beautiful.

Tonight I intend to seek out the ring nebula (in Lyra), which is part of the summer triangle. I'll have to set up the scope on the patio table, as the view is almost straight up, even shortly after dark.

Well 4 weeks of near cloudless nights and being able to see the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and Venus clearly at various points of the night the Lunar Eclipse/Blood Moon comes around and we have 10/10 cloud cover here. Typical.

That's been my life too!  Another shot from my first trip down to Goblin back in April (That's Jupiter above the rock, looking larger than normal due to a high cloud and very slight diffusion).   Have been back 4 times since...and literally every other time has been COMPLETELY clouded over!  Hope the skies clear for all you in the viewable range of the eclipse!!

Goblin5-Small.jpg

Edited by Uilleann

One more from a year earlier - Capitol Reef National Park.  Was really trying to capture as much sky as possible and not worrying about foreground at all.  Maximum detail in a single frame.

Well...technically 50 frames, all stacked to help reduce noise.  But 50 frames of the same sky, at the same time.

MW2017-Edit.jpg

10 minutes ago, Uilleann said:

That's been my life too!  Another shot from my first trip down to Goblin back in April (That's Jupiter above the rock, looking larger than normal due to a high cloud and very slight diffusion).   Have been back 4 times since...and literally every other time has been COMPLETELY clouded over!  Hope the skies clear for all you in the viewable range of the eclipse!!

Jupiter (and five of her moons), are very visible here at around 9:00 PM, due south. Last night, dying to try out my new eyepiece, I went outside right after dark,... and clouds everywhere! No too long after though, most of the clouds had dissipated, so I dragged out my telescope and checked it out. So bright, and the moons, at least four of the five, were also very, very bright; just some really cool viewing for me.

3 minutes ago, Uilleann said:

One more from a year earlier - Capitol Reef National Park.  Was really trying to capture as much sky as possible and not worrying about foreground at all.  Maximum detail in a single frame.

Well...technically 50 frames, all stacked to help reduce noise.  But 50 frames of the same sky, at the same time.

Good stuff there, my friend, very nice indeed. I'm so far away from any form of astrophotography, it's ridiculous, but perhaps one day,...