LSP_K2

Viewing the Cosmos

Kevin,

Please don't get the celestron.  We have several of these, and they've given us nothing but problems.  Some will stutter and jerk, some won't track right, some have the communication hand-piece connector fall out, etc etc etc.

And even when they "work," they don't seem to track very well.  Sending them back to celestron for service can involve waiting for months.

I wouldn't normally ding a manufacturer so heavily, but we have FIVE of them, and we're - to put it mildly - not terribly happy.

I appreciate the input. At this point, a $1000 telescope might just as well be $100,000, as I really can't afford it anyway.

I think Celestron has watered down some of their products for the mainstream market. Their good stuff all seems to be at the top of the price range.

Perhaps, and I've not bothered reading any reviews of it, for the same reasons given above.

If you look at their video, they actually show you one of the issues with the Celestron SE.  The power receptacle is on the part of the base that rotates.  You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal, but we've had people forget that, and the power cord winds around and around, and then either breaks or strains the motor or falls out of the socket.

Sigh.  It's been like this for well over a decade.

If you look at their video, they actually show you one of the issues with the Celestron SE.  The power receptacle is on the part of the base that rotates.  You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal, but we've had people forget that, and the power cord winds around and around, and then either breaks or strains the motor or falls out of the socket.

Sigh.  It's been like this for well over a decade.

I actually watched one video review, and while he had an overall favorable impression, he did also mention the power connection issue. Why Celestron would have chosen an obviously faulty design like that, is anyone's guess.

Well, I got my first look at Mars last night; not too impressive, really, as this 4" telescope just really isn't powerful enough to make out any specifics, though the giant canyons do show up as darker streaks across the surface, so that was pretty cool.

So last night I tried out one of my higher magnification eyepieces with a 3X Barlow, so that I could see Jupiter (and some of its moons) better. While the magnification was indeed better, with more clarity of detail, it also sped up dramatically the image racing across my field of view. Since my scope doesn't have any tracking motors, this arrangement is pretty well useless. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.

OK, another seemingly small, yet very significant experience here, at least for me anyway. Roughly around 12:30, I can begin to clearly see the "Summer Triangle", fairly high in the Eastern sky, comprised of Deneb, Vega and Altair. Two nights ago, the sky was crystal clear, so I grabbed my binoculars and focused on Deneb, and to my astonishment, was greeted with the view of hundreds and hundreds of stars, as the edge of our own galaxy, passes directly through the triangle. I was absolutely amazed at what can be seen with just a pair of decent binoculars, and I can't wait to view the area with my telescope.

OK, fellas, a few days ago I joined an absolutely incredible astronomy site, and am already getting lots of input from the folks there, so I'll not be chatting about this too much here anymore. I will however, post a photo of my new Meade 4000 series Super Plossl 26mm eyepiece when I receive it; a modest update, but the eyepieces that came with the 'scope, are naturally really low end stuff, so the 4000 series will be a real nice upgrade.

37 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Last night around mid night Mountain standard time you could see Venus under the moon.  I didn't see any women on Venus, did you see and men on Mars K2  :lol:

Nope, I think they were hiding at the time.

I found a really excellent price on the Meade 4000 series 26mm Super Plossl eyepiece, which should be a definite step up from what was provided with the 'scope.

Sadly, my telescope is still at the ex's house, and I am forced to wait for the divorce crap to wrap up before retrieving it.  In the mean time, I've been trying to get out and shoot the sky (wide field) as often as timing, money, and weather allows.  This is Goblin Valley - about a three hour drive from my front door.  (The movie Galaxy Quest filmed the rock monster scenes here too, so it may look familiar if you know the movie).

Goblin3-Small.jpg

I made a large print for a friend, and he kept asking what all the things were he was seeing.  So I ended up creating something of a 'roadmap' for him of the image. 

Goblin3labelsSMALL.jpg

I do miss working at our local planetarium, but I am also extremely lucky that skies like this exist so close to home.  :)

Brian~