LSP_K2

Viewing the Cosmos

It's also come to my attention that Mars, a few hours behind Jupiter, will be passing the closest it's been to us in several years, sometime in July, so I'll be sure to be checking that out too.

I was hoping that Jupiter comment might be followed by ... "Yeah, when I last ran my Epstein Drive powered sport craft, I only got out to the orbit of Neptune, so Jupiter and the Sun might as well have been in the same place.... need to check out Pluto one of these days.." but no, just a Transit of Venus. Oh well, still Earthbound.

Have fun out there,

Tnarg

(Holding out for a personal view of the Martian canyons, or more fun sights).

I was hoping that Jupiter comment might be followed by ... "Yeah, when I last ran my Epstein Drive powered sport craft, I only got out to the orbit of Neptune, so Jupiter and the Sun might as well have been in the same place.... need to check out Pluto one of these days.." but no, just a Transit of Venus. Oh well, still Earthbound.

Have fun out there,

Tnarg

(Holding out for a personal view of the Martian canyons, or more fun sights).

In a few months, maybe sooner, I should be able to see the Andromeda galaxy, and certainly the Orion Nebula, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Admittedly, it's much better through a scope. Unfortunately, the light pollution and air condition where I live now makes it impossible without aid. My eyes were better 30 years ago, as well.

That's about the time I spent the wee hours of the AM tracking t-Tauri variables through the eyepiece of the University of Florida observatory telescope, taking long exposures for an astronomy class project. That was a 30" reflector. I would have loved to look at the Orion nebula and such through that.

Edited by CATCplSlade

As coincidence would have it, Saturn, for the next few months, is hovering directly over the Asterism that's commonly referred to as the Teapot, and there are several Messier objects to be seen in that immediate vicinity, though I keep forgetting to go out earlier (12:45 or so), to really enjoy the experience. By 1:30, the spout of the teapot, (also more or less the center of the Milky Way Galaxy), is hidden behind large trees immediately to the south of here. And yes, a suburban environment, is far less favorable for star gazing, than being out in the middle of nowhere would be, but that's what I'm stuck with for now.

Real nice photo, Jari. About a half hour from now, I'll be going out to check Saturn again, as well as the teapot and surrounding area. Time to see what this telescope will and will not do.

Kevin,

Please don't get the celestron.  We have several of these, and they've given us nothing but problems.  Some will stutter and jerk, some won't track right, some have the communication hand-piece connector fall out, etc etc etc.

And even when they "work," they don't seem to track very well.  Sending them back to celestron for service can involve waiting for months.

I wouldn't normally ding a manufacturer so heavily, but we have FIVE of them, and we're - to put it mildly - not terribly happy.