Lady in the Night..Hobby Boss P-61B Black Widow

I have fond memories of building the Monogram P-61 Black Widow when I was a kid, probably clouded by 35 years of time. But, I always loved that aircraft, that gigantic gloss black twin that captured my pre-teen mind. A few days ago, Mike browsed through my trunk, plucked out two kits, and handed me this beauty in trade, and I dont regret a thing!

Hobby Boss P-61B Black Widow - 83209
Eduard - 32769 interior set
Eduard - 32770 Seat belt set

Eduard - Mask Set

True Details - 32018 wheel set
Superscale International - MS320262
AMS Resin prop kit.

Aviaonix Cockpit set

cTMu6sX.jpg

Wow, the box art for this plane...well, is garbage. Wrong colors on the nose art, wrong tail number (239408), wrong colors in general. Thankfully the plastic inside is much better. If Hobby Boss did 10 minutes of googling, they would have seen that this lady was blue, not red, also that unit used red cowl flaps and spinners. Not too much to ask for the last combat kill of the war.

K64gtap.jpg

Picture taken in 1948 at a boneyard, the airplane was scrapped shortly afterward. The blue lady (faded).
ztI9kA3.jpg

This pic shows the lady's sister, with red cowl flaps and spinners.
GUPstEb.jpg

This picture shows some later repairs over the artwork (tape), but the cowl flaps and spinners appear black
BIiodjQ.jpg

jQBVzM6.jpg
The decal sheet appears to be correct for a particular period, but an argument can be made for black cowl flaps and spinners.

Edited by 1to1scale

Guest Maxim

Nice project. I think the black cowls and spinners look better. Anyone know what the markings are on the P-61 running up are?

Edited by Maxim

I have fond memories of building the Monogram P-61 Black Widow when I was a kid, probably clouded by 35 years of time.

Also looking for, but striking out on the AMS Resin prop kit. :(

Same here with fondness of the P-61 originating from the Monogram P-61 kit (it was the first kit I ever built). I have all the 1/32 stuff but not got around to it. Will imagine mine getting built as I watch yours here.

For the props, Relish also has them available (and in stock even at the moment):

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/relish-resins-1-32-p-61-black-widow-propellers-and-spinners.html

Excellent choice. I have one in the stash and initially thought that would be my choice for the GB, so I will definitely following your progress. I don't know if you are aware but Mr.Paint does a US WWII night fighter black and my guess it is designed for the P-61. I have tried it but I have used Mr.Paint on my last two builds for the GBs and this is good stuff.

The wheels on the P-61 are the same as on the B-25, so Eduard resin wheels for the B-25 would also be an option. I used them for my B-25 and they are great but I do not know how they would fit the kit gear.

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

David

Same here with fondness of the P-61 originating from the Monogram P-61 kit (it was the first kit I ever built). I have all the 1/32 stuff but not got around to it. Will imagine mine getting built as I watch yours here.For the props, Relish also has them available (and in stock even at the moment):http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/relish-resins-1-32-p-61-black-widow-propellers-and-spinners.html

Thanks, I may order the nose and exhaust, but I am hoping to find the AMS prop, it looks sharper and has better detail.

Excellent choice. I have one in the stash and initially thought that would be my choice for the GB, so I will definitely following your progress. I don't know if you are aware but Mr.Paint does a US WWII night fighter black and my guess it is designed for the P-61. I have tried it but I have used Mr.Paint on my last two builds for the GBs and this is good stuff.

The wheels on the P-61 are the same as on the B-25, so Eduard resin wheels for the B-25 would also be an option. I used them for my B-25 and they are great but I do not know how they would fit the kit gear.

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

David

I'm actually going to use Badger Stynylrez primer as my finish, I have both the matte and gloss that I will experiment with. My biggest challenge will be having a space big enough to spray this giant bird. The one thing that is apparent is that these planes weathered to a flat finish very quickly. Edited by 1to1scale

A little more research...

Another photo taken from a film, shows colors, which for years were misinterpreted as red.

47_lady%20dark%20color%20from%20film_2.j

This photo shows the Lady in 1949, being de-commissioned at Clark AFB.

548th Night Fighter Squadron Northrop P-61B-2-NO Black Widow 42-39408 Lady In the Dark Sent to reclamation at Clark Field, Philippines Jun 6, 1949 / Source, United States Army Air Forces photograph.

548th_Night_Fighter_Squadron_Northrop_P-