MH-47G 160th SOAR Nightstalkers . FINISHED

Dukie99

Thank you guys, I hope I will be rewarded with clear windows when I remove the masks at the end. I have been extra careful but you never know. I have now finished sanding the joint of the canopy to the fuselage and rescribed the lost details. It is now time to add the bits and bobs before painting. First I installed all the chaff and flares dispenser, with the connections made from lead wire.

i-t78tHGZ-L.jpg

i-BgLttzZ-L.jpg

i-VTLQjdq-L.jpg

i-W33B3BH-L.jpg

Then I finished scratch building new aft landing gear to replace the crumbly metal pieces of the kit. Not as detailed as the original pieces but good enough for something that will be hard to see

i-G7Jts7N-L.jpg. They may be a wee bit over scale but after a coat of nato black, they look the part.

i-P3tz2WZ-L.jpg

Lots of antennas to install but getting closer to put some color on this bird, if you can call black a color.

Cheers,

David

Quick update before I leave for the mountains for a week with the family. Finished glueing the bits and bobs, the last thing to glue before painting is the hoist, but that is for next week. Glued the landing gears, tyres are only dry fitted. Pretty happy with the stance compare to photos I have: low and menacing. Could not resist mocking up the rotors, enjoy and apologies for the crappy pics, will do better next time

i-BzmkQPW-L.jpg

i-BFmpx4h-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

WOW David, Im just catching back up with your work, and its phenomenal!    The persistence and "modeling courage" you showed in replacing those windows is to be thoroughly commended.    Its a heck of a thing to do that, and after having tried in vain to do something similar with my B-25, I can say you did a hell of a job! 

And I am back after a week in the mountains. It was not the right time to take off from work (but it is never the right time) and I spent far too much time on my remote access, but the weather was gorgeous and I spent about two hours every day playing hockey with my son, precious times.

Guys thank you so much for your kind words, it keeps me going on a project which is by no means easy, I will need to tackle something simpler on my next build, i.e. before going crazy again on the multi-engine GB.

Currently the beast is under primer (Alclad Black primer and microfiller) and it looks sinister...

i-3PS7g8M-L.jpg

i-SZHz2DN-L.jpg

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

Thank you Guys,

This is now the homestretch and it looks like I am going to be able to finish this one before the end of the month, still lots to do. In order to add restore a bit of detail to the windshield area, I applied archer rivets to the window frame, not sure it adds much, but I like to use the Archer rivets (not enough to cover the entire airframe with them though, I don't have that kind of patience)

i-NhXTmXD-L.jpg

Then I applied a coat of USAF yellow primer (MRP) and preshading done in Nato Black (also MRP)

i-zJ9jcB6-L.jpg

Then it was time for some shades of black. The main coat is a mix of 2 parts of US Helo drab and 1 part black (both MRP). Some areas more in the shadows were painted with the same paint but with a 1:1 ratio and I highlighted the areas more exposed to the sun with a mix of 2 parts of US Helo drab and 1 part Nato Black. Quite hard to see the different tones on the pictures but under natural light IRL the different shades are noticeable and I am happy with the result.

i-q5rjzb7-L.jpg

i-5drH8kf-L.jpg

I have now coated the bird in future in preparation for decaling and wheels have been unmasked and glued with expoxy.  More pictures after decaling (tons of stencils from the very nice Werner's wings set).

Cheers,

David