MH-47G 160th SOAR Nightstalkers . FINISHED

Dukie99

The goodies from Werner’s Wings are now in transit and should arrive this week. I have been busy masking all the openings and filling the gaps large and small with putty and/or CA on the fuselage. I have also worked on the rotor. It took several hours to just prep the parts because Trumpeter gives rotor blades which are nicely curved but also full of panel lines which do not exist on the MH47G where the blades are smooth as baby’s butt. Out comes the CA and the sanding sticks. From this:

i-wkPw9Nq-L.jpg

to that:

i-PJZMpqD-L.jpg

i-QRnqqCf-L.jpg

I have now coated the blades in Alclad gloss black and I need to let them cure.

Cheers,

David

The vac form windows have arrived together with the Chinook stencils, so I gave it a go

i-KNBwZDf-L.jpg

I chain drilled all the windows

i-8QqNX86-L.jpg

The Radu micro saw to cut out the windows

i-wh2MhTp-L.jpg

i-QqqcMDS-L.jpg

then diamond files to clean everything

i-QsQzckX-L.jpg

then dry fitted to the fuselage and more sanding to make it comform as much as possible to the fuselage, will save time later on.

i-FhJRf6w-L.jpg

then painted the interior and exterior of the nose in Tamiya NATO Black.

i-2kzp548-L.jpg

I will let it cure overnight and then the hard part, fitting the vac form windows. That being said I am happy with my progress, the fit of the nose is actually very good and I manage to cut the windows and all the sanding with braking any of the frames. Hopefully the vac windows will allow me to get a much more realistic look not on’y In terms of transparency but also the aspect of the windows which smoothly blend into the fuselage as seen on this pic

i-brSqWVT-L.jpg

More progress soon.

cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Made very slow progress on fitting the vac form windows. I am glueing them with 5mn epoxy, and I glue them one at time, there is a total of 13 windows and I am half way through, so far so good but I will have a bit of sanding to blend everything. To keep things interesting, I have finished the power eggs and glued them on to the fuselage. I painted them before glueing as some parts would hard to reach after glueing. The forward parts are sand filter which I bought on Shapeways. I had to do a bit of carving to fit around the engine base but otherwise the fit was very good. I still need to install the shrouds but that’s for later. Pics:

i-GCVvwPP-L.jpg

i-Z64gTDL-L.jpg

i-bzXPVkh-L.jpg

i-SkVSCDj-L.jpg

i-vPfMRDn-L.jpg

and a 1/1 bird with the sand filters installed:

i-jDx8sf6-M.png

cheers,

David

Thanks Andy. I had not planned to tint the windows because I don’t know how to achieve the right effect. Viewed straight through the windows have no tint but head on there is indeed something of a reflective film

i-nxnLSZp-L.jpg

i-7jRBPSW-L.jpg

So I will probably leave them untainted.

Cheers,

David

Thank you Carl. This afternoon I finished installing the vac form windows. From a distance it looks OK but there are a lot of little blemishes and areas where the joints to the windows need improvement, but I think it is already better than the resin windows.

i-Z4vFCZ8-L.jpg

More pictures soon.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. I am still fighting the nose to improve the appearance of the joints between the windows and the resin frame, lots of masking and sanding and puttying, taking it slowly as I do not have any spares. To keep this moving, I worked some more on the engines and finally installed the shrouds around the engine exhausts. The shrouds are glued at the root of the engine berth with epoxy and the braces are made of hypodermic needles. I still need to paint the needles in airframe color but I think they look the part.

i-Z3J9jcN-L.jpg

i-g5zXT8s-L.jpg

i-8sBCwQp-L.jpg

i-53Rvqzt-L.jpg

i-hWFF68w-L.jpg

Happy with the results, these shrouds make the bird look even more badass, especially looking from behind.

The next challenge, completely unexpected, is the aft landing gear. Trumpeter gives you landing gear made of metal, the problem is that metal (at least in my copy) is completely crumbly. Upon installation the entire metal landing gear broke in four pieces. i-7zsR4sg-L.jpg No way to repair it, the metal has no structural integrity. All I can do is use the pieces as a model to scratch build new aft landing gear from styrene. I will not aim for 100% accuracy because you will not see much there and the model is so large and heavy that once it will be in the display cabinet I don’t think I will ever turn it to look at the wheel bay. A few hours of work will take care of that issue...

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Time for an update. Major milestone this week-end: after lots of prep work, I was able to glue the canopy on and the forward pylon. Still some seam clean-up to do, but it is really taking shape now. Lots of bits and bobs to install on the fuselage once the seam sanding is fully done. Some pictures:

inside the canopy, will not really be seen but I know it’s there

i-nHh8V3R-L.jpg

pilots installed

i-chZhNRc-L.jpg

canopy installed

i-xTZ2c79-L.jpg

i-ptDPwWW-L.jpg

overall shot, this bird is massive

i-kQWPtxz-L.jpg

Cheers,

David