MH-47G 160th SOAR Nightstalkers . FINISHED

Dukie99

On 9/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, monthebiff said:

Man that is nice, super cool work David.

Regards. Andy

15 hours ago, Uncarina said:

David,

I’m just getting caught up and this is amazing!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Guys, I am glad you like it, I am trying to do a little bit every night after the kids have gone to bed, it is slow going but I am enjoying this build a lot. It took me a very long time to get my hands on this conversion but I am glad I did.

Little progress for tonight, I glued the radar pod on the side of the fuselage. Before glueing the pod, I painted the portion of the port which would be hard to reach or mask after. Like for the fuel cells, the pods is pinned to the fuselage with metal rods and then glued with epoxy.

i-CBFxZ28-L.jpg

the other side

i-S2QqTmp-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

More progress. The load is getting heavier and more diverse...

i-KL44pb9-L.jpg

finished painting and weathering a special force soldier for one of the forward minigun position. The uniform are decals

i-XFzLJQs-L.jpg

i-KFfwM8V-L.jpg

I then glued the cargo floor to the left fuselage and installed the SF soldier, very tight space and quite difficult to make minigun fit in the hands and on the gun support, but it looks acceptable. You actually don’t see much, it will be quite dark inside and I had to use the flash so you can see something. Inside:

i-pSsWB6K-L.jpg

outside:

i-x9z95Nt-L.jpg

i need to install the ammo belts, which will be a joy to fit...

not perfect but good enough for me.

Cheers,

David

It all looks rather wonderful David. I like your practical approach of having a vision for the model but also being realistic about what's achievable......"not perfect but good enough for me" is my mantra too! 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:17 PM, John1 said:

Great work!   Not to nitpick but would it not be very unlikely to have one of the grunts manning the mini gun?    

Thanks John, you are probably right, the minigun are most likely to be manned by crew chiefs but as miniguns are installed on many SF ground vehicles, my guess is many SF soldiers are proficient at using miniguns so it could happen.

23 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice David. Really like the way you have painted the load and also the figure. I like the way you pin the resin parts wgerever possible which is just my approach with resin.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy. All this resin is massively heavy, so pinning the parts is I think essential.

7 hours ago, mozart said:

It all looks rather wonderful David. I like your practical approach of having a vision for the model but also being realistic about what's achievable......"not perfect but good enough for me" is my mantra too! 

Thank you Max. Yes, I try my best but this is a hobby and I like moving forward so I try not to stall over minor booboos.

Well today was a major milestone: I closed the fuselage. I finished first the cabin on both sides:

i-Pdq6MFD-L.jpg

i-WF6Ppds-L.jpg

i-xVJfDKW-L.jpg

then droped a large amount of epoxy at the level of the cargo floor and the carefully brought the two sides together. Thankfully the fit was not too bad and nothing broke inside except the sliding door on the right side. I should be able to reglue it later on but if not no biggie it is hardly visible. The top joint is near perfect. It helps that Trumpeter give you the spine of the bird as a separate piece which then completely hides the seam on top.

i-QG76Lr8-L.jpg

on the bottom I have quite a large gap but nothing that putty cannot handle. 

i-w2FXpbR-L.jpg

This bird is just massive, super happy how it is turning out, the next challenge is fitting the cockpit and the nose and glass.

Cheers,

David

Thank you Mike, glad you like it. I highly recommend this conversion, the base Trumpy kit is not bad at all, the fit is very good. DESTROYER is doing one OOB with also a good bit a scratch building and it looks great, but I am very partial to the G version. Today I have done a lot of sanding and prepping of the fuselage, puttying the seam underneath and installing masks over all the opening to avoid overspray in the cargo hull. Once this is done it will be time to fit the forward pylon and the nose which will be an interesting challenge.

cheers,

David

This is my next challenge and it is pretty daunting:

i-PFbDHhq-L.jpg

on the left the Trumpy nose and on the right the Werner’s Wings MH-47G conversion. The good news is that even though the bottom part of the fuselage is 1.5mm wider than intended, the Werner’s Wings nose fits almost perfectly to the bottom part of the fuselage. The bad news is that my copy is not a perfect cast. There is a deep divot at the tip of the nose and the clarity of the windows has a lot to be desired:

i-gQWgr3q-L.jpg

When you compare the resin with the kit windows it is even more evident:

i-bfzjPVV-L.jpg

i-3kS9vq4-L.jpg

I tried to polish the windows and use future to improve clarity but without success, the pictures you see are after my efforts.

My plan is to remove the windows from the resin nose and then graft the kit windows to the resin, major potential for screw-ups but I feel it is the only way to get an acceptable result. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

David

25 minutes ago, Dukie99 said:

This is my next challenge and it is pretty daunting:

i-PFbDHhq-L.jpg

on the left the Trumpy nose and on the right the Werner’s Wings MH-47G conversion. The good news is that even though the bottom part of the fuselage is 1.5mm wider than intended, the Werner’s Wings nose fits almost perfectly to the bottom part of the fuselage. The bad news is that my copy is not a perfect cast. There is a deep divot at the tip of the nose and the clarity of the windows has a lot to be desired:

i-gQWgr3q-L.jpg

When you compare the resin with the kit windows it is even more evident:

i-bfzjPVV-L.jpg

i-3kS9vq4-L.jpg

I tried to polish the windows and use future to improve clarity but without success, the pictures you see are after my efforts.

My plan is to remove the windows from the resin nose and then graft the kit windows to the resin, major potential for screw-ups but I feel it is the only way to get an acceptable result. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

David

Hey David, What about just using clear plastic sheets? Every time I buy a new monitor or television I save the screen protector they tape on the front. Other possible source is sheet protectors from an office supply store. Although I haven't yet tried the technique, I am sure there is some clear plastic film somewhere that can be gently heated to make it conform to the curves. A couple of experiments might show what works best. Maybe cling wrap from the kitchen coated with future? *Edit* - Sorry, just thought of something else. The airline industry uses a product called MicroMesh to polish up their windows. It's kind of expensive but it has a process using several gradually smaller abrasive particles. As a student taking aircraft mechanic classes I used the stuff on a class assignment to restore a plexiglas window - got an A on the assignment.

Edited by kibber

Thanks Guys for the tips. I actually sent a email to Werner’s Wings and was able to get a set of the vac form windows and a set of chinook stencils. As shipping to Switzerland is not cheap, I added a set of the new IRENE decals for a future Blackhawk Down project to make it worth it. It will probably take a week or so to arrive so I will shift gear and work on the rotors, engines and landing gear in the meantime and I have some more figures to paint.

Cheers,

David