Black 4 Bf 109E4 10.NJG 1 1940-41 *Complete*

Gazzas

• 2 weeks later...

HI everyone,

Lots has happened to this build since my last update, most of it bad.

I had a major peeling incident, and I think it happened because it was chilly outside when I painted.  The resulting stripping of the model led to some detail painting of the exhaust necessary, and I had to pull the canopy after checking under the masking to find moisture inside from the stripping process.  So...some things just don't look that great up close.  I broke off one of the MG/FF barrels as well.

So...  I repainted the whole thing.  I had created the numeral 4 from the first picture of this thread and cut it out with my silhouette portrait.  Most of it came out ok, but I'm not sure which method will work best when you have a numeral with a very fine (less than 1mm wide) border.  The method I used called for painting the entire numeral the color of the edging, then applying the thin edge and then painting the central color.  Unfortunately the thin border was stretchy and didn't lie as I had hoped.

With so little of the plane seen in the inspirational photo, I decided to make a quartered spinner in black and white.  That part came out as hoped.  Here are some photos I took just a few minutes ago:

3j3y9X.jpg

8ovL9I.jpg

wRChfR.jpg

uWOCBW.jpg

Gaz

12 hours ago, mozart said:

You'd never guess Gazza, it looks like a very clean build.  Such "adventures" are simply character building!! :)

The paintwork does look great, mottling is always difficult for me. What paint did you use that stripped off? As for "adventures" building character, don't know about you, but I've had my fill of "character" while building.

Don

Thanks!  The paint that peeled off was AK Acrylic early German set.  It was may fault it peeled.  I have to quit painting when it's cold.  AS it's winter here, that only leaves me a few hours mid-day.\

I agree, though...  sometimes I'd like to pass on the character building.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to putting decals on this thing. 

I've been thinking since I joined the fuselage halves that the rear fuselage between cockpit and cross seemed a bit humpy.  These pictures really illustrate it more clearly.

u4gYFh.jpg

eybXub.jpg

LICyfH.jpg

I'm not sure about the landing gear angles.  I've built a lot more G's than E's.  But I'm not going to worry about it since the humpiness of the fuselage really irritates me.

One thing that I am happy with is the mottle.  A bit of sanding while I was smoothing the paint for decals made it look more realistic.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas
added text

Beginning weathering.  On this occasion I decided to start from the bottom.

SBnE8I.jpg

From the access ports to the pulleys and a little behind the spinner I used yellow and brown oils to simulate some streaking from lubrication oils.  From the oil cooler on back I used black and brown oils to simulate streaking from leaking motor oils.  I used a dry piece of paper towel to smear the oils back along the fuselage.

Once the oils harden, I'll use pigments rammed into the paint surface to simulate dirt and dust which as attached itself to the undersurface.  From their, I'll use and ochre/umber wash to blend the colors together. 

Then...  I'll attach the underwing pitots and those pesky and fragile aileron balances common to all of the 109's.

Gaz

Did a little work with pigments.  I rammed the pigments into the undersurfaces, to add a little filth.

zlzCtP.jpg

I concentrated more pigments where there would have been splashes from the wheels, or where dirt would've stuck to lubricants.

I find pigments to be funny/untrustworthy things.  Sometimes they don't stick enough, sometimes you go heavy because you think they won't stick well, and they stick too much...  So you hafta break out the abrasives.  Must be my inexperience...

Gaz