Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

I've opened out the slots in the nacelle side panels, now test-fitting the exhaust stubs and trimming the ends to be flush with the flame damper:

myZyoH.jpg

The next job is fitting the individual stubs to the engine....

A typical problem when trying to use AM parts with a kit......it don't fit!!!  The Aires engine is too wide for the bearers by 4.5mm, I guess it's a little too accurate in detail so I think I'm going to have to shave a couple of mill off either side whilst trying to maintain as much authenticity:

XkrG1J.jpg

All is not lost, the situation has been saved with a bit of judicious surgery which hopefully will not be too obvious!  My next concern is about the angle of the engine sitting in the bearers, the aft end being close to the bulkhead which on the other side is the front of the wheel well.  If this is wrong the whole undercarriage assembly could be thrown out of true.  Fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, Shawn M said:

you could always display that gem of a motor on a stand and leave the empty bearers on the firewall

That's not a bad idea actually Shawn, not on a stand but maybe fresh from a packing case similar to this dio that I did a few years ago!

rQZp50.jpg

So having decided to amend my planned scenario of the DB605 being serviced in situ to a new engine being readied for installation in the field with the engine bay empty, I needed to work on the nacelle covers because I have a "thing" about scale thickness.  Nothing is more of a give away than edges not being thinned to look like the thin sheet of metal that it really is rather than 2inch plate!  So I've spent much of the last couple of days whittling and sanding the port upper and lower engine covers and panels - a comparison of before and after:

7OyW0H.jpg

I thought the oil cooler covers had been omitted from my upgrade from John, and indeed they had as a quick email revealed!  If you're using the E2 as a base kit, as I am, the kit oil cooler covers are correct.  The PE grilles are a distinct improvement on the kit cooler faces:

1MOEWD.jpg

I'm going to have to tart the bulkhead up:

VnUMvA.jpg

to look a bit more like this:

4Ndq67.jpg

Ho hum! :wacko::huh: