Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

1 hour ago, Padraic Conway said:

Watching in admiration Max. Keep going!

One small step at a time Padraic!  :rolleyes:  In fact I've spent my limited modelling time today trying to get my head around the installation of the Schrage Muzik set up, and I'm far from sure that I'm there yet! I've taped up all the bits and bobs in position, then put in the cannon which I think is just about OK with its angle, maybe a bit shy but I'm not getting my protractor out to measure 15 deg.  I'm a little concerned about the potential fragility of the PE structure but I guess I'll just have to be ultra careful:

Anjp5s.jpg

1P812i.jpg

Your on to the fun bit then Max! Looks good so far but will you get the Co2 rack in behind and sitting correctly? My guess looking at your picture is no and you will need to move the rear bulkhead back by 5mm or so? 

Regards. Andy

Ha ha, there speaks the voice of experience!!  Yes, it'll have to move back for sure Andy.  I've just been looking at John's build, the opening in the canopy where his cannons go through is much further forward than mine, which are either side of the opening for the Zwilling machine guns, John's and my positions in red:

oF8VWU.jpg

Yours I see are in the same positions as mine and I think that's the root cause of our problem, which in all honesty I don't think John made any allowance for.

Bit of a bug bear for me is this area Max, something is wrong but without being able to get in the real thing at Hendon we will never know! If you scroll through page 8 of my build log you will see a post from John saying he has this area wrong on his show model. We definitely have the gun position correct through the canopy but would love to know what is wrong in the bulkhead positioning. 

By the way, have you tried the side panel fit with SM in place along with ammo fitted as well? Caused me major fit issues at the time. Well worth a check sooner rather than later.

Regards.Andy 

I've been giving this troublesome aft cockpit area some thought and come to the conclusion that I'm approaching it from completely the wrong end, ie the lower positioning of SM mounts determining the SM muzzle position.  So I'm going to try the reverse, taping the muzzles as securely as I can to the canopy in the "correct" position (as I perceive it to be) then seeing where that indicates the support structure on the cockpit floor, and ultimately the bulkhead, should be.  Fingers crossed for a bit later when gardening is finished!

Well that worked, I hope!  Cannon taped into position @ approx 15 deg (?):

A3rTuv.jpg

Cannon plus floor and bulkhead, not sitting square because on the kit there is a sloping fillet:

KfV1M2.jpg

Fillet removed, rearward distance measured @ 4mm:

3UVVDN.jpg

Temporarily placed to gauge fit, looks ok:

IkDyJn.jpg

Of course all this may only hold true for the late G4s like Andy and I have modelled, those doing earlier ones may have to find their own solution.

Edited by mozart

Glad to see you are about sorted in this ar3a Max, if I remember correctly, when I realised there was an issue I decided rear bulkhead would go back as far as necessary for the CO2 rack to sit at the correct angle. Seems like we both have ended up with about the same result! 

Regards.Andy 

Thank you chaps, hoping for some time to crack on with this section so that I can wipe my fevered brow and close the fuselage up!  Though the build won't be finished before the GB end date, I think that the plane should at least be looking something like a wingy-thing by then. :)