Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

10 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

its actually designed to capture dripped oil and lubricate the gear swing hinges when retracted, as pointed out it wasn't always the most effective.

I was going to replicate this detail as well. carve down some sprue to make "the cup" and hollow it out a bit, the rest is wire or styrene.

Its mounted to the gear leg, the rest of the cables springs etc are for the gear doors.

The oil cup is supplied with the kit Shawn, I haven't fitted it yet.

How detailed do you want it to be? i would make the /---\ shape from a piece of solid brass rod (0.8 or 0.6 mm). Glue both lower ends on the doors and then create the springs from  thin copper wire coiled up on an even thinner rod (brass or styrene). The springs can then be glued to the /---\ shape and to the outer gear support legs. The attachment points can be further detailed with styrene or brass triangles to create a hinge effect. I'll hope it's clear what I describe, otherwise I can make a little drawing.

Thanks Wouter, I tried this with wire though not thin brass rod, I've give that a go! :)

Alain, I put down a base coat of light blue (RLM75) then oversprayed Grey Violet (RLM76) though I may go through some of this with a fine line of light blue later.  I'm pretty happy with it as it is right now though.

Max,

I think you meant light blue RLM76 and RLM 75 Grey Violet!

Here is the technique I am talking about, shown on the 219 at the Smithsonian museum. A solid coat of 75 over the top surfaces, then wavy 76 lines to leave 75 spots.

There are photos of wrecked new 110 with just the solid 75 upper surface. Note the original (darker) paint at the wing root on the 219. You see the style of the original painter was  well respected.

RvUI4xa.jpg

Ls61Ppp.jpg

Painted the walkway lines today and refitted the engine bearers on the port engine.  Since it's the Geschwader Kommodore's aircraft the fitters have draped a tarp across the wing root to avoid unsightly scratches!

xK6t3h.jpg

n1SS86.jpg

I've re-done the swastikas, still not 100% happy with them, nor if I'm honest am I really satisfied with the fuselage markings, I know that I'll be redoing them because my eye goes straight to them every time I look at the model. Ah well.

6 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

ah yes, our own critical eye...goes right to the issue every stinking time lol

Indeed Shawn! I've altered the EF code letters, they were too skinny for my liking so they're now a bit more beefy! I've cut the masks, oversprayed the old markings and put the masks in place; planning to spray tomorrow. I'll be using RLM66 instead of black, possibly even dunkelgrau. There has been controversy since the war years about the colour of those codes on Schnaufer's plane, black or grey so for me it's a matter of personal choice. :)