Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

You probably already  know this photo, but here is anyways: Schnaufers tailplane on an Bf110G, from the Australian War Memorial collection.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C385374

In case the link does not work go to "Australian War Memorial", photo collection, search for "Schnaufer".

Thank you for the great build and superb documentation. It's an inspiration!
Richard

Thanks for that Richard.  I was lucky enough to visit the AWM in person in 2010 and have used their resources online oh so many times in my Bomber Command research, God bless the Aussies for making A705 Casualty Files available to researchers whereas the MoD over here in the UK wouldn't release details due to the "sensitive nature" of the files!

Yes I have seen the picture before, it's 3C+BA, the G4 that Schnaufer flew in the last few weeks of the war but in which he scored no aerial victories.  The tail fins in the AWM and IWM are from this aircraft and not from his favourite G9+EF.  What is clear in this picture though, when the light quality is adjusted is how the rudder is mottled but the actual fin isn't, it has been suggested it's RLM02 and it's not mottled because it acts as a blank "canvas" for his score tally.  Looks like I'll have to do this on mine.

I'm doing a bit of work on the tail end; the single rear nav light on the E kit:

fC130u.jpg

needs to be supplemented by two additional ones like this:

J40MED.jpg

so a few minutes whittling with some 1mm rod and the job's done:

HBCnfY.jpg

Looks like I've got a bit of seam filling to do too! :)

I also added the tiny PE actuators for the trim tabs:

WkjiBq.jpg

She's coming on quite well, time for mottling to start very soon!

pUrO8L.jpg

Edited by mozart

48 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

That's looking great Max, have your eyes uncrossed yet from doing all the mottles.

Cheers

Dennis

Ha ha, the eyes are OK Dennis, I was more worried about fainting from not being able to breathe!!  Isn't this a great photo:

AJ3wKA.jpg

Edited by mozart

18 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

..... adding those extra tail lights is a but awkward to look right but looks like you have nailed it.

Regards.Andy 

Took me back to my whittling skills as a kid with my sheath knife, probably be arrested as a terrorist these days wearing a knife on my belt like we used to!! 

2 hours ago, mozart said:

MRP Shawn!! Tried yours yet?  Mottling done with the compressor set at about 10psi.

What is the smell like when spraying MRP out of interest Max as I've not used them and only ever spray with Tamiya acrylics, In my head I have the idea they smell like laquer?

Regards. Andy