Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice work Max, be careful with the posititioning of the rear bulkhead as if you glue it as per John's instructions it will mess up the SM angles. If I remember rightly it needs to go back around 5mm to get the correct positions as the guns exit the canopy.

Regards. Andy

Thanks for that Andy, by rear bulkhead I'm guessing to mean the PE one that I've just glued in place!!  I've carefully read through your difficulties in this area and think I understand the problems, though without the resin rear canopy section I can't start addressing the angle of the guns etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pouring down outside so a good reason for bench time!  I'm trying to get my head around the front cockpit area, roll bars etc.  The top curved part of the roll bar is provided in resin, I add the vertical parts - job done.  There's also a scratch-built frame to be located behind the roll bar, 16mm wide in the instructions - done.  But the 3.5mm forward projecting parts which will join the frame to the roll bar are too far apart if built perpendicular to the frame so I guess they need to be angled in by 1mm each:

RqtfHZ.jpg

Then arises the question in this increasingly complicated scenario of one item fitting to another; how high is the roll bar?  The photograph of the real thing provided the answer, and the key part as far as the modeller is concerned is the internal frame by the Bordfunker position, because the top of the roll bar has a couple of (scratch built) extensions which run aft to join the internal frame:

PLIZMj.jpg

9lmCFu.jpg

Once the roll bar height is determined in relationship to this frame, the pilot's armour plate, the Revi gunsight and the two vertical bars can be worked out.

Andy's pictures and guidance have been invaluable, he's done such a splendid job as a "pathfinder" with his build.  

Edited by mozart

Tricky part of the build this Max, loved every moment of it as well! Interested to see how you build this area up as there is an aweful lot going. I dedided on making sure everything was bonded together as one assembly for added strength but the pay off was some really tricky painting!. 

20180123-195324.jpg

20180301_204550.jpg

Also Max. I've noticed after the event (as always) that John supplies lots of lovely decals/ stencils for the radio sets which I wish I noticed at the beginning of the build but never mind, to late now!

Looking really good Max and enjoying each of your updates.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy, as you say a tricky but enjoyable area to tackle. One thing I've discovered this evening is that the way John builds on his pdf instructions is different in some respects to what's shown in his progress shots in other areas of the cd, the latter being much clearer and answering some of my earlier problems. Ah well, better to learn now than never! 

18 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Amazing Work!  I wouldn't do it without a manual.

Gaz

You'll go far my boy!! :)

Progress at both ends of the office.  With great trepidation, having received the resin canopy from John, I drilled the holes for the SM, having first checked my references for shape and position.  All went well fortunately, the width of the opening is quite tight so I may open them up just a smidgeon.  At the front end I've been progressing the roll bar etc.  Rather than add small fillets for the roll bar uprights to drop through I decided to cut a new piece of "decking" to stick onto the existing plastic from thin card, worked alright.  This whole area as can be seen is immensely fiddly and patience-testing but I'm getting there.....:coolio:

mwyzbX.jpg
fZj3Yc.jpg
QdRmkn.jpg
Kwez8D.jpg

Spent a somewhat frustrating couple of hours this afternoon checking references and photographs; I decided that I had positioned the framework slightly too far forward because pictures show bunches of blue cabling coming up in front of it from, presumably the backs of the Bordfunker's displays. So out with the fine razor saw, a bit of judicious surgery and the frame stuck in its proper place. I also made a small anonymous box which sits in front of the frame but behind the pilot's seat. Progress but not a lot! :) 

Edited by mozart