New Hasegawa 1/32 A6m5 Nightfighter kit #08252 questions?

hworth18

Hi all,

Is this kit a A6m5c or just the A6m5 variant, and is it the new tool version? I can't seem to find out much on this release but I am familiar with the nightfighter which is what has me interested in this kit.

Thanks!!

Harry

You can see the sprues and instructions here.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10509203

It's the new tool kit (suspect they won't release the old tool ever again) and it's the 52a version.

Thanks! I'm a little disappointed that the oblique cannon is just an add-on barrel and not an assembly, but I would imagine having an assembly would require lots of additional tooling for just one rare variant.

I think I'll add this to my list.

J2M4  but looks like there were only 2 built. Very cool version of the Jack

My understanding is that the J2M4 had a turbocharged engine with a visible turbine in the right side of the nose. While they may have had oblique armament, I think the Hasegawa kit represents modified J2M3s.

I wonder how well this gun arrangement worked since it's a shallow upward angle, plus it's angled off the centerline, so it's a deflection shot in both elevation and azimuth. I think this is about the only one I've seen that isn't the more conventional on the centerline.

I just worked out a deal for one, but, from what I have heard, this kit is almost as nice as the Tamiya, without all the extra work of moving landing gear. I have seen the sprues on this new tool, and I am impressed by the exhaust alone, and the surface detail on the fuselage is beautiful. If the KI-84 was any measure, this should assemble as nice. 

I just worked out a deal for one, but, from what I have heard, this kit is almost as nice as the Tamiya, without all the extra work of moving landing gear. I have seen the sprues on this new tool, and I am impressed by the exhaust alone, and the surface detail on the fuselage is beautiful. If the KI-84 was any measure, this should assemble as nice. 

Just be aware, the Tamiya kit has excellent overall air-frame surface rivet detailing, whereas the Hasegawa kit does not. What can be accomplished with washes on the Tamiya version, cannot be done with the Hasegawa kit(s). The review below has a wonderful depiction of what I'm referring to (about two thirds the way down the page).

Tamiya A6M5, Part 1

Does anyone know how they accessed the 20mm cannon to re-arm and service it?    Was a new hatch or removable panel installed somewhere on the fuselage?   Or did they get at it by removing the seat and reaching/crawling back to the gun?     Does this new kit provide any clues?