HPH PBY-5A / OA-10A s.n.44-33876 / 2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron

Jan_G

Its from a Czech based company called HpH.

i-RKB59JH.jpg

They make a WIDE variety of highly detailed resin models in a variety of scales, but seem to specialize in large scale stuff. They even make custom 1/18th models too.

They are not for the beginner modeler, nor for the faint of heart. Their kits have nearly everything you would need AM wise, but are highly complex, and detailed, and the way they kit their models (small parts in a "pool" of resin to be cut out) can in certain circumstances lead to building frustrations.   If you have a good modeling constitution, some patience, and a lot of sanding material, (not to mention lots of available funds) they can be fun. 

So does this kit really cost €720?

They are not for the beginner modeler, nor for the faint of heart. Their kits have nearly everything you would need AM wise, but are highly complex, and detailed, and the way they kit their models (small parts in a "pool" of resin to be cut out) can in certain circumstances lead to building frustrations.   If you have a good modeling constitution, some patience, and a lot of sanding material, (not to mention lots of available funds) they can be fun. 

Pure truth Brian

If there would be option to pay some extra price to get all parts cleaned and ready to assembly I would not hesitate a minute

Pure truth Brian

If there would be option to pay some extra price to get all parts cleaned and ready to assembly I would not hesitate a minute

Preach! Although their recent run of kits (like my F7F) have a seemingly slightly thinner resin pool to cut the parts out of, but safice it to say I would have paid for that service too............in a flash!

Where did you get the kit from if I may ask?

Also apologies for asking this, but how much did this kit cost? Found it on the HPH website for €720, is that the actual price?

I bought it 2nd hand from Czech republic. Locally on traders sites 2nd hand HPH kits doesn't cost so much compared to regular retail prices

I dont remeber anymore the exact amount I paid for this one, but it was less than half of the retail price.

jan 

USN-PBY-5A-BuNo-04982-Ens-Jack-Reid-VP-4

Jack Reid as Pilot.  Found Japanese fleet approaching Midway.

Thanks Mark for the recommendations  :)  realle apreciate it

And good luck woth your Cat! Great choice with such a historical significance

I used dish washing liquid.  

From an organizational standpoint, number the construction pages.  Put the same number on zip lock bags.  Inventory and number the parts.  Cross-reference their number to both the parts index page and construction page.  You will get to know and understand the kit, its' parts, and visualize how to put it together by using this method.  Number the part or backing with a pencil/marker, remove, and put in the numbered bag.  This way, when it's time for construction, just match the bag to the page and all of your parts will be available.

Well, Im using dish washing liquid as well for all resins stuff. However If I'm sanding gently all the surface (e.g. wings) I don't care at all to wash it. 

You are Mark well organized, oh man, I'm that kind of guy who will put parts in small boxes, these boxex in bigger box and after 1 week off the bench I will have enough time to drink 2 coffees to get myself back on track  :)

jan

Preach!   Although their recent run of kits (like my F7F) have a seemingly slightly thinner resin pool to cut the parts out of, but sacrifice it to say I would have paid for that service too............in a flash! 

Hopefuly they will improve with the new releases and make it easier to clean. I really like HPH because most of their 32nd planes are my favourites and they are producing TOP class details. However I still miss clear printed instructions and brass gear included. All these "wire through the wheel" solutions are weird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

time to finish Cat 

I spent several evenings trying to align parts of floats in retracted position. Literally every part needed lot of sanding, dry fitting and adjusment :D

Finaly I have rescribed and riveted lost details

i-wJckVMW.jpg

i-Ns9X6h3.jpg

i-KvMjT4Q.jpg

another thing I realised is that many part numbers are incorrect in instructions so some effort is needed to go through hundred of parts

i-cCV5s93.jpg

i-V8fp7p6.jpg

one side cowling panel left in bare metal finish as visible on the photo

i-kQVfsxv.jpg

i-qTkpQXV.jpg

oil coolers

i-fh8CRss.jpg

i-NTvsLwr.jpg

i-7hSZfJG.jpg

landing lights assembly

i-8bzPjbk.jpg

i-SSHRfQP.jpg