UAE F-16F Block 60

Bruce

I'm not happy with Academy's wing to fuselage joint.  Next time I'll cut of the mounting tabs.  The problem is that the wing edge that joins the fuselage is not a sharp edge.  The top and bottom surfaces of the wing roll over so when you mate the surfaces there is a gulley.  If you cut the tabs you can sand the mating surfaces flat and get a good fit(live and learn.

My other probleb was the ab can seam.  I ordered a set of Aires exhausts for the kit but decided not to use them since I had done some work on the exhaust nozzle.  Instead, I made a quick mold using some Alumilite 2 part mold putty and pushed the end of the Aires ab can into the putty and let is set.  I needed a part to mate a F-15 ab set to the Academy nozzles. 

DSCF4905.jpg

I cleaned up my rough casting and mated it between the nozzle and ab section.  I can use the Aires set on another kit.

DSCF4907.jpg

this whole assembly will slide in the back of the model.  ( more to follow when it is finished)

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

On 7/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, Bruce said:

thanks for the compliments.

I found a picture of the tailcone that illustrates  what Cheetah11 was saying.    You can see clearly the inner portion is  shorter than the outer portion.  I shortened the parts on mine and I thing they will be OK.  I also ordered an aftermarket tailcone set and will use the ab section so there won't be a seem.

tailcone_1.jpg

I also seen something else here... what is that sort of bracket?/ in front of the airbrake? you can even see it's  shadow.....

never seen it before....

Great progress on a very interesting subject. I may be missing something, but what is the difference in the noses of the F-16F and a F-16C/D or Sufa other then the various type specific lumps/bumps? Also does Isra make a conversion for the F-16F? Thanks for any help and keep it up.

Chuck

Not being a F-16 expert I can't really answer your question about the noses.

Wolfpack makes a conversion set for the E using the Tamiya kit  and IsraCast makes one for the F using the Academy kit.  The F conversion is not for the faint of heart.  I hate to think how much I've spent for seamless intakes, wheel well set, and the kit.  I also bought an exhaust set hoping it would help(nope,it seems to be too large so I accept the kit with modifications as you can see.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

set back... didn't finish this for the nationals.  at 2:30 the night before I discovered that the kit part for raising the canopy was about 1 inch too short.  Pictures and more later.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

Ok, so here is the model ready for painting

DSCF4912_1.jpg

after painting

DSCF4915_3.jpg

after decals and ready to add tires and canopy and that is when I found out the canopy raising arm was too short

DSCF4924_1.jpg

the canopy for the a/c  I 'm building has a tinted front and clear rear area.  I tried tinting it but that didn't work so I ended up cutting the two kit canopies and gluing them back together.  Then finished building the canopy.

IMG_2246_2.jpg

DSCF4922_1.jpg

So then I was ready to mount the canopy when I discovered at 2:30 a.m. that the arm was too short.  BTW while at the nationals I come to find out thru my room mate that a company makes "such" a canopy.  So... when I got home I ordered one thru Sprue Brothers.  The company also offers other replacements.  The canopy is injection molded molded and looks exactly like the original but the front half is tinted.  Not as muck as the kit part but OK.

canopy%20replacements_2.jpg

DSCF4917_2.jpg

that is the kit part on the left and my corrected part on the right.  I made it from some of the kit part and some tubing and a hypodermic needle.  Now to continue...

Edited by Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

OK, done.  I'll post pictures later.  Let me just say that mounting the canopy wasn't easy even after I made the new part.  I think I'll do my next one with the canopy closed!  

I also discovered that the engine nozzles, even after I made the changes didn't look right.  I decided that the configuration of the turkey feathers wasn't right, so...I've ordered a set of block 40/50/60 nozzles for the Tamiya kits because the drop right in for the Academy tail piece.  I'm just going to tack the ones I've done into the tail and replace them when I get the new set.

Bruce

well here it is.  After fooling with static discharge pieces, tiny wing position lights, a broken nose gear strut, lousy tailcones and canopy fit I have finally finished.    Don't look too close:

DSCF4961_1.jpg

DSCF4965_1.jpg

DSCF4971.jpg

DSCF4977_1.jpg

DSCF4962_1.jpg

On to the next challenge

Bruce

Edited by Bruce
Spelling