UAE F-16F Block 60

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Just a small pointer on the build. I did a F-16F a few years ago scratch building the differences. The one difference from the Sufa kit ( or all F-16D with the GE engine) that I did not pick up was the tail feathers on the engine exhaust. The F-16F has slightly longer ones and are pointed at the tips. I had to re-do this after the model was finished after a friend pointed it out.

Hope this helps. Maybe you know this already.

Nick

Nick,

I'll take a look at that.  It may be something I live with.  I'm sure  to the trained eye there are other problems with the kit  and mods so I'll have to draw the line some where.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the major fuselage parts together.  I didn't follow the conversion kit instructions for the cut line for the nose piece.  I cut further forward of the recommended line and the fit was great.  The kit might be 3 inches longer than the real aircraft but I won't tell if you don't!

DSCF4899.jpg

the conformal tanks needed a little work to fit.

Bruce

so there I am looking at the exhaust area and it hits me that the ab section is two pieces with a seam in it, SHxx!  No problem the 16 and 15 have the same engine so I'll us seamles ab resin for an F-15!   Wait...isn't 1/32 scale 1/32 scale, 1/32 scale...  I guess not because the 15 exhaust section is smaller for F-15 kits then it is for the academy F-16, SHxx!

I also can't decide which tail section piece, the one with the wavy edge that goes around it or the piece that has the constant line that goes around.?

Oh well, I'll go back to gluing o photo etch pieces and little resin bits while I try to sort this out.

Bruce

On 7/2/2018 at 4:10 AM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Bruce

Just a small pointer on the build. I did a F-16F a few years ago scratch building the differences. The one difference from the Sufa kit ( or all F-16D with the GE engine) that I did not pick up was the tail feathers on the engine exhaust. The F-16F has slightly longer ones and are pointed at the tips. I had to re-do this after the model was finished after a friend pointed it out.

Hope this helps. Maybe you know this already.

Nick

Nick,

I can't find any pictures that show the tail cones like you mention... do you have any pics that show the length and pointiness like you mention?

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Here is a photo I found on the internet. You can see the outer feathers protrude past the inner tailpipe section where the usual position is in line with the inner section. Pointiness is maybe the wrong way to describe the shape but they are not square as in the case of other GE nozzles. Maybe someone can clear up the difference. It is not a big thing, but I had to fix mine as it was always pointed out whenever my modeling buddy visited. I will be home in two days if you need a photo of my fix.

f-16f.jpg

Hope it helps

Nick

hi,

great model in progress! And wonderfull subject!

also figure out the "sheen / colour" of the canopy, often tinted "smoke / gold" sheen. Something that varies on older F-16 Blocks but on modern Blocks often seems to have been applicated.

thanks for the compliments.

I found a picture of the tailcone that illustrates  what Cheetah11 was saying.    You can see clearly the inner portion is  shorter than the outer portion.  I shortened the parts on mine and I thing they will be OK.  I also ordered an aftermarket tailcone set and will use the ab section so there won't be a seem.

tailcone_1.jpg