Sign in to follow this  
1to1scale

Show me your best hobby room setups!

Not built yet (hopefully by Christmas of this year though), here's the tentative plan for my L-shaped arrangement. The drawing seems to constantly evolve, so may or may not end up looking 100% like this. I've tried to max out the space that has been allotted for this, so as to get as much hobby stuff into the area as is possible.

AY46Bz.jpg

I planned my space the old fashioned way: on a sheet of graph paper.

Yea, I used to do that myself, but since I have AutoCAD installed, why not use it.

Late to the party. I have to rethink the paint rack as i'm buying very little Acryl and more Vallejo and need different shelf spacing. Power outlets, lots of very bright lights, convenient storage, sink (i'm 5 steps away from a laundry/utility tub) , easy to clean surfaces.

m1Dgrx.jpg

M8wBoX.jpg

NFHL7t.jpg

The peg board helps to keep sprues out of the way, keeps me from losing stuff....usually.

Don

You're right; when I build it I'll send you that big box and clear some space.

LOL! I've actually done that to someone. I manage a crew to technology integrators at work. Back when I was installing, I was taking a 65" TV into a classroom, and one of the building maintenance guys gave the old line that if I had a nickel for everytime I've heard it, I'd be a rich man. "Hey pal, my truck is out in the loading dock!"

As we were packing up to leave, I stopped the guys from throwing it (empty box) into the recycling dumpster and pointed to the back of the maintenance guys truck.

Edited by ScottsGT

Yes, give them what they want; always a classic move. I'm sure he was quite pleased with himself when he got back to his truck.

Hey, if you ever want to see some horribly integrated tech, you should stop by the high school I work at someday and have a good laugh...or cry. However the mood strikes you.

Rob,

Your space looks little worse than mine.  I built a hobby desk from stuff at Bunnings.  But it's squeeezed into a room previously reserved for un-used but un-chuckable stuff and Christmas decorations.

Hopefully some ideas.  I don't have modelling space at the moment. So tied up in 1:1 scale projects in the short term...soon though.

Lighting

I have a desk with an overhead lighting that has been fluro's. They buzz when they come loose and annoy me so I'm switching to LED strip lighting. $40 all up? Really cheap, awesome light intensity, light, self adhesive and bog easy to hook up.

Paint Storage

For paints I use mechanics tool chests. I use a older version of this chest. At the time, it and the lower unit could be had for around $500. It holds more than enough paints, cans, glues etc and can be moved around or out of the way. Keeps everything easier to clean and the drawers slide like a good engineers cabinet should. The trick is for the drawers to be high enough to accommodate the paints you prefer.

HTH Matty

And now for the other end of the spectrum of best hobby space, we have mine, I've never known anything else so I'm fine with what i have

Some of you guys are living the dream

yiQuX03.jpg

I think at one point or another, we've all had a space like that to do our modeling in. 

Hey, if you ever want to see some horribly integrated tech, you should stop by the high school I work at someday and have a good laugh...or cry. However the mood strikes you.

That's why we do our own here at USC.  Our first two we had done back 20+ years ago was so bad we knew we could do a better job.  Even new construction with buildings going up where they brought in a "Major integration" company made such a mess of it, that we still cannot get it to work correctly.  All we can hope and pray for is that it works long enough to last the life cycle and we can build it out our way. 

That building is now used be everyone on campus as a bad example of how not to do it.  Just this week we have to rent scaffolding and erect it to change lamps in one of the auditoriums, even after the Health and Safety manager told them not to mount projectors that high and our Director told them not to mount them where they did. 

Unfortunately when I started doing this we had about 5 or 6 of us to do it all.  23 years later we now have almost 500 rooms to maintain and update and continue to build new rooms, and we still have only grown to 15 people at most to do the majority of the work. And a lot of those numbers are students that we have to retrain every year on basic maintenance like lamp changes.   Comparable University's have a staff of 50+ to maintain technology.

It's like painting the Golden Gate bridge, but our bridge keeps getting longer every year without budgeting more staff.  I hate to say it, but we are at critical mass, and I just lost 2 employees to job transfers.

I think at one point or another, we've all had a space like that to do our modeling in. 

I certainly did. For the longest time, I used a standard card table out in the den of my old house (and a few cardboard boxes). Currently I'm relegated to the dining area table here, but that'll change this winter, with the construction of the new hobby benches. Any old port in a storm, I guess.