Sign in to follow this  
1to1scale

Show me your best hobby room setups!

Posted (edited)

I’m moving to a new house in Nashville, TN. I will have a dedicated 13 x 15 hobby room / office / man cave. I am looking for ideas as to a good setup, desk, paint booth, display area, etc. I have a blank canvas and can do anything I want, especially since my wife got the house of her dreams, and I compromised for her to get it...so I get my ideal hobby room and a lift in the garage.

Please post here any pictures of your setups, display cabinets, paint booths, etc.

QUGi0Gz.jpg

QhTfgV3.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Here's my sanctuary:

20180526_171319-L.jpg

20180526_171327-L.jpg

20180526_171337-L.jpg

My stash storage is in the lower half of the black display case. This is the first room in our house and my wife was kind enough to let me have it. I love the blue paint and the setup. It's my happy, relaxing place.

Posted (edited)

Good luck with what will be a wonderful project.  Only advise I can give is think a lot before you start.  Add more light, and power points than you think you need, ( Double your first estimate and then add some more, you will always need more points...and light.)  Think about how you work and seperate clean/dry and wet/dry areas because doing 'dirty' and messy task in an area you paint in will lead to tears.  If you can get a sink close to your work area do it.  Cleaning up is so much easier if you have easy access to water and a sink.  If you can, use only comfortable and easy to clean materials for bench tops and flooring. Make it a place you want to spend time in, a cold, messy and difficult to access workplace is one that only gets used infrequently.  Have fun and post some progress pictures.

Dan 

Edited by ScanmanDan

My utopia, after i modified it two years ago. Today, i have the same set-up with only the Tamiya paint bottles disappearing to be replaced by MRP paints.

TmNTC9Cl.jpg

Part of my stash at the right.

EUt9k3Vl.jpg

Paint booth and research corner.

GL5B26Xl.jpg

Display corner, and book shelfs.

U9sScZ2l.jpg

Greetz

Danny

As expressed earlier, the separation of dust from the paint side has been the most important requirement for me. The crap goes everywhere. I am making a low air flow dust hood for my assembly station. This in combo with wet sanding should keep the resin dust away from me and out of the paint.

And... do not forget to hang some models from the ceiling fan. How about four Bf-110 flying in a defense circle!

Danny, love that display cabinet. For the life of me I cant find anything locally that doesn't cost a farm.

Regarding the display cabinets, they come from IKea and are in fact very cheap compared with what you get.

Greetz

Danny

I'd kill for a window in my work area. I'm in a basement setting. Put your building table near the window so a fan can be set up for painting.

Regarding the display cabinets, they come from IKea and are in fact very cheap compared with what you get.

Greetz

Danny

Thanks, not sure IKea have a huge presence in South Africa.

Wow !!!! you are very well organised !!!! my room looks more " messy " 

Alain

Sometimes it's a real mesh Alain..... :doh:

I'd kill for a window in my work area. I'm in a basement setting. Put your building table near the window so a fan can be set up for painting.

Well, i'm glad i have a window in my modelling room, but i still wish i had a bigger one. This one is enough, but some more space would be very nice.......well, i suppose we have to be happy with what we have isn't.

Thanks, not sure IKea have a huge presence in South Africa.

Oooohhh....ok, sad to hear that. My thought's where that Ikea was present in all country's?? On the other hand, these display cabinets are great for 1/72/1/48, but regarding 1/32 models you are limited to W.W.1 & W.W.2 models. Jet's won't fit.

Greetz

Danny

I will play :)

mine doubles as a home office for when I don't have to go into the City, but even so, aeroplanes are at the heart of it..

..a very messy desk..

hr_zpspoft3vij.jpg

some aeroplane art..

HR3_zpsdm7jzu1m.jpg

..and my corner of pride :)

HR2_zpsv5muumkk.jpg

..I don't have many tips other than get a good light, put things you use a lot within arms reach, and have LOTS of desktop space..

Peter

Here's my sanctuary:20180526_171319-L.jpg20180526_171327-L.jpg20180526_171337-L.jpg

My stash storage is in the lower half of the black display case. This is the first room in our house and my wife was kind enough to let me have it. I love the blue paint and the setup. It's my happy, relaxing place.

I like your room, it has lots of space to outstretch. I was already thinking of painting mine blue, but a lighter shade. You also made me think I need a couch, maybe with a pullout sleeper for when guests visit.

Good luck with what will be a wonderful project.  Only advise I can give is think a lot before you start.  Add more light, and power points than you think you need, ( Double your first estimate and then add some more, you will always need more points...and light.)  Think about how you work and seperate clean/dry and wet/dry areas because doing 'dirty' and messy task in an area you paint in will lead to tears.  If you can get a sink close to your work area do it.  Cleaning up is so much easier if you have easy access to water and a sink.  If you can, use only comfortable and easy to clean materials for bench tops and flooring. Make it a place you want to spend time in, a cold, messy and difficult to access workplace is one that only gets used infrequently.  Have fun and post some progress pictures.

Dan

Those are some good ideas, and I will definitely have lots of light, I have a spray booth that I will set up permanently, I do all my spraying in it, but I also sand and cut resin in there.

My utopia, after i modified it two years ago. Today, i have the same set-up with only the Tamiya paint bottles disappearing to be replaced by MRP paints.

TmNTC9Cl.jpg

Part of my stash at the right.

EUt9k3Vl.jpg

Paint booth and research corner.

GL5B26Xl.jpg

Display corner, and book shelfs.

U9sScZ2l.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Great setup, I was already pricing out IKEA display cabinets and desks, as well as a whole HobbyZone setup like yours, I have a few pieces now, but I need lots of room.