Revell 1/32 BAe Hawk T.1A - Disaster

Robthepom

That is a shame about the canopy.

Try and get hold of some Mrpaint-remover bottle with green lid.

It is a bit like brake fluid.

If you apply it with a cotton bud and leave it for a minute you should be able to remove the errant paint.

You can restore the part to it’s original condition prior to painting if required.....all is not lost.

14 minutes ago, Palm-tree said:

That is a shame about the canopy.

Try and get hold of some Mrpaint-remover bottle with green lid.

It is a bit like brake fluid.

If you apply it with a cotton bud and leave it for a minute you should be able to remove the errant paint.

You can restore the part to it’s original condition prior to painting if required.....all is not lost.

Its not paint, its tamiya spray can 'clear' i dont know why i used it, it has eaten into the clear canopy unfortunatly

That's a real shame :( Really nice work on this. 

Wierd how the clear ate it like that.. never seen that before, that's almost a bit concerning...

They made a red arrows kit of this I'm sure there must be loads of cheap ones knocking about for a replacement canopy?

Edit: Revell 04284 is the one, loads of em on ebay.

I'd send you mine, but it's the one the wife is looking forward to the most.

Edited by Subodai

Sorry to see that you’ve had this issue so late in the day. 

It’s a pain for sure but not irretrievable.

If you can be bothered you could use Micromesh products to polish out the damage.

Even the paint could be easily removed. It might be hard work and you’d still have the canopy detonation chord to create but it is possible.

suggestion:

1) contact Revel for replacement parts - it will take a while but you will get them

2) i have never built a jet with the canopy heater thingy but i think i would struggle to lay them down convincingly without carrier film showing, so... ever thought about having masks made for it and spraying it on?

Rob, if you can get a new canopy or repair polish your existing canopy you can get a self adhesive precut mask from ‘Materhorn Circle’ included with their Swiss Hawks set.

https://www.mc-one.ch/Documents/right stuff/dokuments/Hawk/Instructions Hawk32_web.pdf

If you can get hold of Meng Air Modeller issue 88 there is a photo of it on page 18 where a chap called Florin Claudiu Silaghi built a beautiful model of the Red Arrows hawk in 1/32 from the Revell kit.

Hope this is of some help?

Edited by Palm-tree
Addition of link to decals

19 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

contact Revel for replacement parts - it will take a while but you will get them

I messed up my Bu 131 (ICM kit in a Revell box) recently, explained what I'd done, and asked for a replacement engine cowling, basically a small sprue with 9 parts.  Despite offering to pay, they sent them foc within a week.  Thank you Revell.

So that may well be a good route to go. https://www.revell-service.de/en/spare-parts-service/

Hi Rob,

sorry to here of your mis- hap, as mentioned earlier I think a few minutes using micro mesh will work wonders in restoring your canopy (what have you to lose). If not, I think getting in touch with Revell and explaining what happend  should get favourable results as MikeC has found out.

On the full size Hawk the M.D.C. is sealed in place and there is a slight over lap of clear sealant, not unlike the carrier film on the decals, your rendition looks as it should (pre paint). I am sure Revell would be able to help with a replacement Decal as well.

As for meeting up for a pint, if ever you go right side up and are able to make a trip to the I.P.M.S. Nationals, I am sure that there will be quite a few members willing to by you a pint or 3 to exchange Hawk tales with you ( I include myself ).

Hoping you get results with either the micro mesh or Revell route and get your Hawk back on the bench and completed .

Bob

Edited by Victor K2