Revell 1/32 BAe Hawk T.1A - Disaster

Robthepom

Thanks for the great info and further details

I got the wings on, and took just a smear of perfect plastic putty on the wing root, the seams around the engine intakes are not easy to blend but after a couple of evening sessions with a few beers i got the where i'm happy to show a picture

FkLTFzy.jpg?1

rnoaV6W.jpg?1

The build will go back on the shelf for a few weeks, i have just ordered some Archer Transfer rivits for the back section

Thanks

On 12/13/2018 at 8:22 PM, Victor K2 said:

Further to my earlier post, it seems Martin Baker have changed the colour of the leg restraints to olive green (just poked my head in the cockpit today and I was surprised that they weren't blue as I thought they were. I am sure they were once? I've only worked on them since 1983:wub:). I will check with one of our armourers to see if my memory is playing tricks or that I am colour blind.

You are correct, the leg restraints were indeed blue.

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2019 at 2:09 PM, Robthepom said:

The build will go back on the shelf for a few weeks........................

Oh my goodness, this has been the longest 'few weeks' ever, try 1.5 years haha 

I just had to read through the tread again...........the hawk is back on the bench and heading for a finish

Well Well it all comes flooding back to me now.....the Det Cord...ahhhhhh

So I've had a rethink, i'll be doing in-flight so i grabbed out a pilot from my bag of bodies. Removed the 2yo masking and pulled all the paint off, so repainted.

I think i have 3 options for the Det Cord

• Use the Revel Decal
  • Make one from copper wire
  • Don't fit one

I had a trial at the copper wire method and it might be ok but very tricky, and i have no idea how to glue it to clear canopy if i can get the shape right

I might just keep going and leave that until the end

Its time to add some rivits

8wLM1Ct.jpg?1

hDSzDfz.jpg

7dMJ4rj.jpg

EHlegeH.jpg

Brave decision to use the copper wire, with the adhesive problem. But it can be done.

One thing I'd advise Rob is to heat the copper wire red hot to anneal it. It'll take any springiness out of it.

You can wire wool the oxidised look off it afterwards.

Then press some pins into some drilled MDF or similar and bend the wire round them at the appropriate places.

To be honest, I didn't find the sought after 3-D effect worth the pfaff.

My other method is to tape the pattern to the exterior of the canopy, then use a mapping pen and white ink to draw the pattern on the inside

On 12/13/2018 at 8:22 PM, Victor K2 said:

Further to my earlier post, it seems Martin Baker have changed the colour of the leg restraints to olive green (just poked my head in the cockpit today and I was surprised that they weren't blue as I thought they were. I am sure they were once? I've only worked on them since 1983:wub:). I will check with one of our armourers to see if my memory is playing tricks or that I am colour blind.

Hi Bob,

They were blue until very recently (and still are on other ejection seats).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hi Derek,

not sure when they changed from blue (the colour that I remember) to the now olive green colour? but since 208 Squadron  ceased, I always thought that the leg restraints were blue. Since working in Depth maintenance and seeing the seats out of the aircraft on most servicing's,  they are most definately green now,

I would love to know when they changed over the colour, I realy must pay more attention.

Bob

56 minutes ago, Victor K2 said:

Hi Derek,

not sure when they changed from blue (the colour that I remember) to the now olive green colour? but since 208 Squadron  ceased, I always thought that the leg restraints were blue. Since working in Depth maintenance and seeing the seats out of the aircraft on most servicing's,  they are most definately green now,

I would love to know when they changed over the colour, I realy must pay more attention.

Bob

Not really certain Bob, but I think that the T.2 Hawks have olive green leg (and arm) restraints these days.

Cheers

Derek

13 hours ago, Derek B said:

Looking quite nice - will the canopy still fit with those resin cast blocks under the seats?

Derek

Yes they do. which is lucky, the seats were not designed for this kit but are the closest i could get.

I have decided to go with the decal, I'll probably cut it in half and set it on the underside.

thanks for the suggestions and reference discussions

Edited by Robthepom

T2, how to make a pig's ear out of a silk purse:hmmm:

My reference from the 1/1 scale Hawk has the revell Hawk's floor being too low for the kits seats, which are very close to scale. So your replacement seats with the casting block not entirely removed should compensate for this. Also the air con intakes (teddy bears ears) are under scale for a later build aircraft using the type of seats you are using as opposed to the earlier seats used when Derek and myself worked on the Red Arrows (The head box was a different shape). I have  thought of using a fine grey cotton soaked in a diluted white glue (pva) and using this to represent the MDC on the canopy ( my build has stalled due to many other ongoing projects but seeing this build has made want to put it back to the head of the queue).

Hope this helps

Bob

thanks for the help and advice, i think i'll try the decal first, but i'll leave that until the end

I finished the rivits, made very easy by Archer, cut the required strip and place like a decal. I only used Microset (blue bottle) i found the Microset was to harsh. they look perfect under primer

bec7ReI.jpg

6Bu3CGa.jpg

ocSAkeB.jpg

EFCNlAe.jpg

2ueKcVh.jpg