Happy Memorial Day weekend to all my US friends.   Here's to all the vets that have passed including my late father who served and protected us without a second thought to their own safety and well-being.

Here's to also keeping everyone safe over the long holiday weekend.

Cheers!  

Guest Peterpools
Posted (edited)

To all ... enjoy the Holiday and be safe. And we all thank those that served, as this is what the holiday is all about.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

On your Memorial Day I will be thinking of all the US Servicemen that came across the pond during the Second World War - who risked their lives fighting evil, and to whom we are forever grateful.

When I was little we lived in the county of Norfolk - during the war the whole of East Anglia was like a giant aircraft carrier - and to this day the area still has lots of artifacts from the period that remain.

After he retired from the Royal Navy, my grandfather was ordained into the Church of England - and his first parish was Quidenham, in Norfolk. I can remember it well - the sound of racing cars at Snetterton race track at the weekend - formerly RAF Snetterton Heath - a B-17 base, 96th Bomb Group.

'Our' church - St Andrew - had the first 8th Air Force memorial in a British church, dedicated in November 1944.

One of my earliest memories is staring at that window, whilst my grandfather read his sermons, I thought some of you guys might like to see it:

48b427_a68d6ea9b7fd489a921b20e7bbe68040~

48b427_99b694090e5d4c3688a490fc152a60de~

Left a big impression on this little boy.

On Monday I'll try and spend a little time on my B-17 model...

Iain

Thanks Brian - it's very much of it's time - and, as you can see, is well looked after to this day.

It's extra personal to me - my grandparents are buried about 40' from that window.

Last year we found the old chapel at Hethel (Lotus Cars Factory these days - but another 8th AF base) - it's now a very poignant museum - I can post pix/details if there's any interest?

Iain

Last year we found the old chapel at Hethel (Lotus Factory these days - but another 8th AF base) - it's now a very poignant museum - I can post pix/details if there's any interest?

Iain

Oh yes, most definitely!

Guest Martinnfb

600dd152f3d5271d38d47f32323f9472.jpg?res

Will dig out the photos Brian - may not be until tomorrow.

The chapel was were the crews would go before a sortie. After the war it was used as farm buildings - but someone discovered a mural under the paint and this has all been restored.

It's a place that really makes you think about what these guys were facing before a mission.

Friends of mine (American wife, Swedish husband) are visiting the American Cemetery and Memorial at Madingly, Cambridge on Monday, to pay respects and leave some flowers.

Iain

On your Memorial Day I will be thinking of all the US Servicemen that came across the pond during the Second World War - who risked their lives fighting evil, and to whom we are forever grateful.

When I was little we lived in the county of Norfolk - during the war the whole of East Anglia was like a giant aircraft carrier - and to this day the area still has lots of artifacts from the period that remain.

After he retired from the Royal Navy, my grandfather was ordained into the Church of England - and his first parish was Quidenham, in Norfolk. I can remember it well - the sound of racing cars at Snetterton race track at the weekend - formerly RAF Snetterton Heath - a B-17 base, 96th Bomb Group.

'Our' church - St Andrew - had the first 8th Air Force memorial in a British church, dedicated in November 1944.

One of my earliest memories is staring at that window, whilst my grandfather read his sermons, I thought some of you guys might like to see it:

48b427_a68d6ea9b7fd489a921b20e7bbe68040~

48b427_99b694090e5d4c3688a490fc152a60de~

Left a big impression on this little boy.

On Monday I'll try and spend a little time on my B-17 model...

Iain

On behalf of my father's family, I deeply appreciate the same sentiments Lain.

Which B-17 kit are you working on?

Hi Tom,

It's the HK Models B-17G - building as 'A Bit O' Lace'.

Iain

Go ahead, Lain!

I built the "A Bit-O-Lace" when Monogram first released her in their now famous 1/48th scale B-17G kit!

i now understand to do it "right", I would need the Resin2 Cheyenne tail turret and staggered waist gun mods.

Are you going to do the "patched-up wing" stuff?

Yup - all weathered up as per photo in that thread - waist positions are non-staggered on this one - have been making patterns for the waist position glazings.

Iain

Posted (edited)

Alot of people have seem to forgotten the real meaning of memorial day.

That day is set aside not to remember and thank those who have served or are serving, that is what veteran's day is for. Memorial day is to remember those who gave their all and died while defending our freedom whether it was in combat or training.

Sometime during all the "fun" this weekend, pause for a moment and remember that your freedom was bought by the blood that was shed all over the world by our nation's military.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

Posted (edited)

To those that gave all to protect us. Thank you all for the freedom and the peace we have in life. 

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Maxim